Gibson Brands Forums

1956 gold top epi p-90 specs

Steelmanpa

My suggestion to you is to play it for awhile and listen to the sounds it makes. Have a friend play it through your rig and You listen to the sound it makes and decide based upon what you hear whether you need to change them out. That should tell you more than the specs. Sitting in front of the amp listening to it as the audience would hear it will give you a much different feel for the sound than if you are playing.

By reputation, the Epiphone P-90s that they put in the Korean models were pretty good. Not sure how the Chinese ones are.

I have a 10 year old Korean version and the P-90's sound fantastic. I have heard the GFS direct replacements and they are good sounding but I'm not sure how much better they'd actually be. I'm sure you can find some that are a lot more expensive but that would be pretty silly in a sub 500 dollar guitar.

I am considering reverse wind, reverse polarity single coil replacements which eliminate hum in parallel (both pickups on) Not so much interested in routing for Duncans or the appearance of the DiMarzio humbucker p90's

Just trying to see how they match up Pretty sure this new an instrument would be Chinese

I am considering reverse wind' date=' reverse polarity single coil replacements which eliminate hum in parallel (both pickups on) Not so much interested in routing for Duncans or the appearance of the DiMarzio humbucker p90's

Just trying to see how they match up Pretty sure this new an instrument would be Chinese[/quote']

I've been shopping for a Epi 1956 re-issue Goldtop and everyone says keep the pickups that come in it. I've read almost no reviews where someone planned to change them out. I swapped my Epi LP Flametop pups out for Pearly Gates and they sound great.

As for hum, why not put a noise gate in your chain? That would retain the sound and clean up the hum.

I wouldn't even consider trading out the P90's on my reissue. It is a fantastic guitar. It costs bucks to start swapping pickups. If you are happy with the stock pickups as I am save your money and buy an extra litre or gallon of gas.

I played a used Epi '56 Goldtop yesterday. The bridge pickup was very clear, enough to impress me with the clarity. And, that's after playing my Epi Lp Custom with Pearly's for over a year. I don't think the Growl was there. I didn't get a chance to crank it that much. The mid toggle position had the Gibson dual pickup trademark sound (think John Fogerty) and the neck pickup was OK, but all were not as beefy as humbuckers.

The neck must have been close to my Custom because I didn't notice much of a difference. In fact, I left and happened to think that I DIDN'T notice anything different about the neck, something that I immediately notice when I play my Gibby Studio...it's thicker. This one said '56 Goldtop on the truss rod cover. The ones in the online pictures say ''56 reissue". I wonder what's the difference? This one was a U99070705, made in July 99 in the Unsung, Korea plant.

I definitely want a Goldtop in my collection, but I wonder how much I will play it. There is enough difference in sound to warrant having it. The reviews I have read rave about the versatility in sound and the ability to get most any record sound out of this guitar. I guess I'll find out when I buy one. The store owner is going to Nashville next week and will be stopping in at his supplier to pick up some stock, so I just may ask him to pick me out a good specimen of a '56 reissue and bring it back.

I ordered an Epi '56 Goldtop yesterday from the local music store. Ther owner is going to Nashville next Thursday and will stop at his supplier and hand pick from the ones they have. I hope he picks a good one. LOL. I should have it by next Saturday. I'll post pics.

I wouldn't even consider trading out the P90's on my reissue. It is a fantastic guitar. It costs bucks to start swapping pickups. If you are happy with the stock pickups as I am save your money and buy an extra litre or gallon of gas.

I agree with you ,i also have an epi with p90s (korean junior double cut ) and they kick ***. The bridge pup absolutely screams power and the neck pup is tonally more clear but less powerful.Like everything ,its a personal preference so give the stockers a chance and see if you arehappy with them

W W

The difference between the neck on the Gold Top and the Gibby Studio is night and day. In fact the necks on all of my 5 Epi's are smaller than the one on the Studio. I bought the Studio because the price was right. It has nob appeal.

The neck is pretty chunky.

Well, the music shop owner called me last night and told me that his Nashville suburb supplier didn't have an Epi 1956 Les Paul Goldtop in stock, so I placed an order last night with Musicians Friend. I should have it by Tuesday (Paid for 2nd day shipment).

Pics to come.

Archived