Gibson Brands Forums

Pick Ups for Leftys

BarreNone

BarreNone

Being right handed, never really thought about it. Don't think it would make any differance. (being electromagnets and all)

I know there are a few Leftys in here. Sure would be interesting as to what the have to say.

Ron G....do you need left handed solder with those irons?

Nope, just gotta flip 'em.

Henrix didn't even do that, big part of the "expierience" tone, makes the high E less cutting, the low more defined, and the D rings out crazy loud, but the G is quiet). For humbuckers, it's not going to make a huge difference either way, unless they're ceramics with individually adjustable polepieces.

Fender pickups were once made with "staggered" pole pieces, which means that those under strings that didn't speak as loudly were raised (the "A" string on Precisions, for example), but with humbuckers, the pole pieces are easily adjustable. That's the only issue I can think of.

For the wiring harness, you seemingly would want "reverse taper" pots. My understanding of this is nil, but I found this in the F*nder Forum:

Being a lefty I also find that the taper is important. Wiring a righty pot (which is most all audio taper pots) lefty never works out - especially for tone controls. As Leftymeister recently learned, even with pots wired lefty and turned all teh way up, if it's not a reverse audio taper pot, it can affect the tone. To this end I don't know why guitar OEMs insist on wiring lefty guitars lefty without using reverse taper pots. It's a total lack of attention and it is obvious that they don't know what it does to their product.

Being a lefty I also find that the taper is important. Wiring a righty pot (which is most all audio taper pots) lefty never works out - especially for tone controls. As Leftymeister recently learned' date=' even with pots wired lefty and turned all teh way up, if it's not a reverse audio taper pot, it can affect the tone. To this end I don't know why guitar OEMs insist on wiring lefty guitars lefty without using reverse taper pots. It's a total lack of attention and it is obvious that they don't know what it does to their product.

[/quote']

Here is an interesting read about influencing tapers(from linear to audio etc). Unsure if and how it applies to lefty pots, but there you go... http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/potsecrets/potscret.htm

Archived