Gibson Brands Forums

marshall 1936 cab

Not exactly. But I tried 2 Celestion G12T-75s (like the 1936 has) and found them to be to brittle sounding for my tastes. That particular Celestion (like most Celestions - except the Vintage 30) sounds to me like tone locked inside of a tin can trying to escape. But plenty others will disagree. It's a subjective tone thing so you really won't know what you think until you try it out for yourself. Good luck experimenting.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Although Steven and I don't always agree......I'm with him on this one....I don't care for the G12T-75's at all. It's my humble opinion that the valve junior sounds best with a single 12" speaker as well. Vintage 30's also sound like crap IMHO until they break in which can take quite a while. My favorite celestion with a valve jr is actually a G12H-30 FWIW.

A follow-up comment:

There are many good speaker choices out there

--- and if tone really is "all in the fingers" then a speaker is a speaker is a speaker. NOT!

When it comes to tone -- EVERYTHING IS EVERYTHING!

Personal preference is key -- try out every source you can until you are satisfied.

I use 3 cab combos with VJr. and the tones from each are quite unique. I custom built each of my cabs to the exact same physical specs using the exact same tone/size pine. My fingers are the same. My LP is the same. My VJr is the same.

Based on that, I am the first one in line to say that the "tone is all in the fingers" addage is bunkas.

I searched most of last year for new speakers and found that I kept going back to certain "sweet" tones produced by certain speakers. Purely on my preferences and playing styles (blues, classic/brit rock), I settled on a Cannabis Rex, Peavey Blue Marvel, Vintage 30 and an 8" Legend. Cannabis Rex out gritty-greasy-ied the Texas Heat as my final blues choice but it's a flavor not everyone would like.

I suggest plugging your VJr. into every music store, pawn shop, garage sale, and friend-of-a-friend's cab that will let you rage away until you find your tone --- and you'll know it when you do. Again, good luck.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

I have a pair of oversized 1x12 cabs loaded with Vox blackdog speakers(made by eminence) which are my current fav's with my jr's. It's a personal taste thing for sure,but they sound much smoother withou.t the mid honk that many celestions have. It takes a lot of experimenting as others have said. One thing that actually surprised me is that the higher wattage ceramic speakers sounded much better(to me) than the vintage rola alinco's I tried with my amps.

Anyone plugged their Vj into one of these? Just curious. thanks

I have one and really like the cab but changed out the speakers long ago. That said, you can do a lot better value-wise than a 1936. I just happened to pick it up cheap. I went from the stock G12T's to Vintage 30's to Greenbacks and finally to G12H30's. The G12H's are by far the best so far. I picked up a pair of Avatar 1x12 closed-back cube cabs and put the Vintage 30's in those.

Call me a heretic if you want, but I've never been a real big fan of Celestion speakers ](*,) I like to hear power tubes driven to the max, not speaker distortion.

Just from experimenting my valve jr. likes just about any speaker Eminence makes as long as its rated for 75 watts. Right now I've got the stock Lady Luck speaker in the cab because its' broken in really well, and I've been able to play LOUD the past few days.

But, that's just personal taste and the type of music I play.

thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to start looking around and plug into anything I

come across. The stock 1x12 is good for most things but the more heavy i get the more

I'm starting to find it's limitations.

Archived