Gibson Brands Forums

Wanted! gold keystone tuning keys.......

chibecca

I have an Unsung '06 epi lp custom that has grover tuners on it. I want to replace the kidney buttons on the tuners with some gold keystone buttons but I want a direct replacement. Surely one of you has done this before and can lead me to my goal. Paging Twang haha...........

I like the keystones and have installed them on both my Gibson DC Pro and an epi LP limited edition; they just look great. You can get these from Gibson and are a direct replacement on the Gibson guitar. The epi however has smaller headstock holes that would require headstock modification. I did it, but it's not for the faint of heart. If you're good with woodworking (detail stuff, that is) and have the tools (and lots of patience) go for it. If not (or have any doubts), I highly recommend getting a good luthier to do it or just let it be and enjoy what you have. I can't think of anything worse than screwing up the headstock of a good guitar.O:)

I have to call in about a guard for a guy here.. so I'll find out.. but without looking at the catalogs, I think I can get gold keystone buttons that will hook right up to your current grovers...

or grovers with keystones.. I'll be back in a few minutes.

I know there are buttons available.. and tuners complete.. but since you've already got grovers, just the buttons would be less cash and just as good!

I found keystones.. but the buttons only fit gotohs..

I found gotohs with them, but they don't have the same set up as grovers..

I found klusons, but different set up and no gold..

then I found

gold grover rotomatics with keystone buttons.. 80.00 list price

All Parts TK: 7901-002 should be the number if you want to take a look.

pm for further information.

There were some others, too.. but that's the set that should pop right in no changes to be made..

the others were unbranded, unless mentioned above, and probably import chinese or whatever..

otherwise it's gotohs or sperzels which only 'might' at least cover the old screw hole.

If you can't find them give Mike a call at Naperville Music in Illinois. He has the Gibson/Grover sets, about 5 or 6, at the store. They are the exact drop in replacent for the kidney set. I know because at some point I'm going to change the keys on my black 1965 G400 to either these or the gold plastic keystones and see them every time I'm in there.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I will do some research to see if those gibby buttons will fit the epi set since they are both grover. The buttons should be the same but i imagine the actual tuning keys are different. Twang i will hit you up as soon as I find out about this and see what you can do. Thanks again.

Archived