Gibson Brands Forums

This is real pretty!

davidg3333

For some reason I'm not a big fan of quilted maple or birds eye for that matter. I don't know why they both just rub me the wrong way.

I feel exactly the same way. To me, Quilt Top looks like some gross, melting, sopping wet silk blanket.

I feel exactly the same way. To me' date=' Quilt Top looks like some gross, melting, sopping wet silk blanket.[/quote']

Another one here for the anti-quilt brigade. I just don't like it, it looks a bit messy, I'd take a flame top over quilted any day.

Although I ought to add that I somehow manage not to have a guitar with either top at the moment!

Also - this is just a personal preference, and I mean no offense to anyone who is a quilt lover #-o There's room for everything in my book! I do like plain tops too. I guess it all comes down to the individual guitar. But I don't like that Tak Les Paul - apart from the quilt maple I don't like the inlays - I think they clash with the bright orange top. It most likely plays and sounds great - just - for me - it looks a right mess!

I like 'em all, except plains, their just too...plain. My quilt dont look like a wet blanket, mine kinda reminds me of water, Christ I put a decent shine on it, and you'd swear you could dive right into it.

I like 'em all' date=' except plains, their just too...plain. My quilt dont look like a wet blanket, mine kinda reminds me of water, Christ I put a decent shine on it, and you'd swear you could dive right into it.[/quote']

Ahhhhh... BUT some of us find there is sheer beauty in plain (simplicity) =P~

1963gibsonsglespauljuniqk7.jpg

True' date=' during a dark night filled with suds but damn once the morning comes..... =P~ [/quote']

Yeah - beer goggles can convince you you're getting the Olsen twins, but it turns out it was just one really fat chick!

I like maple better than mahogany' date=' and I do have to admit that I like flame maple. And spalted maple. Has anyone made a solidbody guitar out of walnut? Very popular for gun stocks, but not so much for guitars.[/quote']

the original Gibson The Pauls were made of soild walnut i think.

Archived