Gibson Brands Forums

EJ-200CE

Just Strum

What value would you put on a used EJ-200CE in good-excellent shape.

Are they solid spruce top or laminated?

Any reviews from past or current owners?

I would like to get an acoustic after being away from them for about a year, just not sure if this is the one.

Speaking for myself' date=' I love my EJ200CE. Its a little weak unplugged but when you plug it into an amp WOW!

The workmanship is first rate. A really beautiful guitar[/quote']

the thing looks huge. I had a Washburn Jumbo. I have someone I trust selling a used one and have been kicking the idea around. I'm surprised being that size it is weak when unplugged. Maybe seems that way when comparing it plugged in?

Thanks for the info.

Check out the AJ200S. This one has a solid top and you might still be able to find one with a PU. Look for the China ones the Indonesian ones I have seen not too good. Check GC they seem to stock them.

I'm not too concerned about plugging it in, in fact part of my reason for getting one is to have it for quick strumming without pulling out chords, pedals,...

That is pretty impressive for $200. I'm assuming the nut and saddle are plastic. I really don't care about the nut material (preference conversation), but bang for the buck, a bone saddle is a good investment.

I'll have to locate one in a store around here and give it a test drive.

if you don't care about plugging it in' date=' don't get an electro-acoustic, just get a regular acoustic like the EJ200 or

better yet an AJ200S with solid top...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-AJ200S-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518438[/quote']

I'm doing a little digging on the AJ200S, it just might be what I need. I'm not big on M123, MF, GC, but I do most of my business with Sweetwater, unfortunately they don't carry that model. I'm sure I could call my tech and he would order it. Before I do anything I will have to visit a land store and try one out.

Other than the gold hardware I've been trying to figure out the difference between that one and the AJ200SR:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-AJ200SR-Advanced-Jumbo-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=482837

It's also $199 but note the difference in list prices: $499 as opposed to $332.

I would think the "R" might mean Rosewood back and/or sides, but it says mahogany in the specs. Perhaps it means the "slightly smaller "r"ounded upper bout"?

AJ200SR:

"Add to that a solid Spruce top for pure acoustic tone that only gets better with age and rosewood back and side for added warmth and you've got a premium acoustic guitar for beginners to professionals."

Epiphone AJ-200S Acoustic Guitar Features:

* Solid spruce top

* Mahogany body and neck

* Rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays

* Chrome hardware

* Body binding

* 25.5" scale

* Set neck

as for the dove, the pickguard is far from stupid (that's a subjective opinion) and references the famous gibson

model of the same name...also has fretboard inlays and a different bridge...

Epiphone Dove Acoustic Guitar Features:

* Solid spruce top

* Maple body

* Set maple neck

* Rosewood fingerboard with split parallelogram inlays

* Dove pickguard

* Stylized bridge with wing inlays

* Chrome hardware

* 25-1/2" scale

* 1.68" nut width

Dubstar, for $100 more I see value for my needs. Now someone is telling me to check out the Masterbilt's. Before the night is over I will have gone from $200 to top of the line Martins.

FTR: I take "E" off of pick guards, the "W" of pick guards (Washburn), so to me that pick guard just doesn't cut it. To me that pick guard is trailer park - just my opinion. I'm more conservative - don't like flash.

AJ200SR:

"Add to that a solid Spruce top for pure acoustic tone that only gets better with age and rosewood back and side for added warmth and you've got a premium acoustic guitar for beginners to professionals."

Thanks for pointing that out. Mystery solved. I missed the "rosewood back and sides" in the blurb. In the spec list just below the blurb it states mahogany back and sides. Could turn out to be a really nice guitar for $199.

It notes that on top "rosewood back and side"

but in the specs one says

Epiphone AJ-200S Acoustic Guitar Features:

* Solid spruce top

* Mahogany body and neck

the other

Epiphone Dove Acoustic Guitar Features:

* Solid spruce top

* Maple body

So what are they referring to when they say "rosewood back and side"?

AJ200SR

that's what the blurb is from...as you noted' date=' the specs read differently, but that's almost certainly an MF error that refers

to the AJ200S...the R stands for rosewood...

[/quote']

well, if CB would get the Epi site updated we could read more about the AJ200SR

Doing some reading, including what you guys have said, I think the AJ200SR is the front runner.

I'm going to contact Sweetwater and see what they can do for me if they are willing to order it.

Just not comfortable with the other guys and GC wants $100 more than the others. I'll go with Antique Natural if buy it.

Probably a bit late in the life of this post to be having a say but I have an EJ300SCE which I am happy with. Common opinion seems to be that the EJ200 is louder acoustically but I can't fault the 300 in that area and through an acoustic amp, performance is terrific! It is physically a big guitar and is uncomfortable playing on any soft seating where you sink in a bit, or if you are small of stature.

I have had her for a couple of years and I think the tone is mellowing already thanks to the solid spruce top, so that is a feature I can recommend. A worthwhile improvement is the addition of a bone nut as the tone seems to have a little more depth.

Good luck.

Dig

I put on a set of John Pearse .012 - .053' date=' phos.bronze and my EJ200CE came alive. Plugged in or un plugged this guitar is great. As for the size, I love it. I couldn't be happier with this guitar.[/quote']

well, I went with a used guitar. I purchased an Orpheum (the foreign brand owned by Tacoma just before the sale to Fender that is now Olympia). Solid spruce top with solid mahogany sides and back. Got it cheap and it will serve my needs. Plus it leaves me with some GAS money.

I love my EJ-200CE. I've added a GraphTech Tusq saddle and bridge pins, along with heavier strings (.12 - .56) and the guitar sounds better than ever. I always get major compliments on both the appearance and sound of it from other guitarists.

My only issue with the guitar is why I'm posting. Twice now, the electric jack/strap knob has come completely unscrewed and dangles from the body of the guitar. Even with the large soundhole and jumbo body, my arm is too thick to reach down in there to thread the nut onto the jack and tighten it. I tried using needlenose pliers, but that didn't work either. I'd rather not take it to a guitar tech if I can help it. Is there a particular tool that is used to thread that nut? Does anybody have the same problem. or have a different fix?

I love my EJ-200CE. I've added a GraphTech Tusq saddle and bridge pins' date=' along with heavier strings (.12 - .56) and the guitar sounds better than ever. I always get major compliments on both the appearance and sound of it from other guitarists.

My only issue with the guitar is why I'm posting. Twice now, the electric jack/strap knob has come completely unscrewed and dangles from the body of the guitar. Even with the large soundhole and jumbo body, my arm is too thick to reach down in there to thread the nut onto the jack and tighten it. I tried using needlenose pliers, but that didn't work either. I'd rather not take it to a guitar tech if I can help it. Is there a particular tool that is used to thread that nut? Does anybody have the same problem. or have a different fix?[/quote']

I thought I remembered reading somewhere about a tool someone used for that particular problem. I'll check and if I find something I will let you know.

I had that issue with the jack/strap knob coming loose on a EA20SDL, I used a spoked locking washer (not the correct name). I had a hard time getting in there, but had enough room to get a boxed end wrench in there that was bent so it would line up properly (I know, lousy visual).

Archived