Gibson Brands Forums

Okay, more part problems...

superjudge3

The Tone Pros bridge that the guy at Guitar Center said would surely fit an Epiphone does NOT fit. Of course I will get my money back, but I need to know what bridges will fit.

Some one said they bought a Gotoh bridge that fit and sounded great? Could some one please tell which Gotoh Tune-o-matic it is? I can't seem to find answers anywhere!

Also, what 500k pots are you guys installing? Switches too?

The most I've done is change the nut and pups.

Thanks for the help dudes!

Super,

The Gotoh bridge I put on my Paul came from stewmac.com #1511 Did Not have to change bushings.

It was a direct replacement. If you are not sure, they have a spec tab for most of their parts. It gives all the dimentions.

CTS pots...had to open the holes in the body a little and change to U.S.A. knobs

Switchcraft jack and toggle switch

The Tone Pros bridge that the guy at Guitar Center said would surely fit an Epiphone does NOT fit. Of course I will get my money back' date=' but I need to know what bridges will fit.

Some one said they bought a Gotoh bridge that fit and sounded great? Could some one please tell which Gotoh Tune-o-matic it is? I can't seem to find answers anywhere!

Also, what 500k pots are you guys installing? Switches too?

The most I've done is change the nut and pups.

Thanks for the help dudes![/quote']

I don't want to start a new thread on this subject, it may not be fair, but I need to vent about Guitar Center. On several trips within the last six months, and after talking to various sales people I discovered they knew nothing about the following:

1. Gibson's 339 guitar, this was well after it had been advertised nationally.

2. Had never heard of Epiphone Elitist guitars.

3. Had no idea Fender released the Princeton 65' reissue.

4. Had no idea what an Epi LP Ultra II was, again, months after it's release.

I would certainly not expect them to know which bridge would fit any guitar.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

I don't want to start a new thread on this subject' date=' it may not be fair, but I need to vent about Guitar Center. On several trips within the last six months, and after talking to various sales people I discovered they knew nothing about the following:

1. Gibson's 339 guitar, this was well after it had been advertised nationally.

2. Had never heard of Epiphone Elitist guitars.

3. Had no idea Fender released the Princeton 65' reissue.

4. Had no idea what an Epi LP Ultra II was, again, months after it's release.

I would certainly not expect them to know which bridge would fit any guitar.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread.[/quote']

yup, i really dont like guitar center because of pretty much the same thing. they really dont know anything about guitars nor bass nor anything. i asked for a g 400 vintage and they never heard about it and 2 days later i went in and i saw it there. i asked again and they said they didnt have it even though i saw it, they didnt even look on the store's computer. i got tried of guitar center, i actually helped a guy that was looking for a guitar and an amp. he asked me if i worked there cause i knew much more than the employees. when ever i go and ask for either parts, strings, picks, cleaning stuff, etc. i have to find it cause they can't. the only thing i use to like about guitar center is that i could jam there with different guitars, but that fun was over when i noticed that the guy in front of me or to my right who was shredding at full volume, and didnt let me or anyone around hear, was a worker.

Thanks for all the help guys! I will buy that Gotoh bridge for sure!

As for Guitar Center, they suck! The one I'm talking about is the new one in Killeen Texas! I have to go there because there is no Gibson dealer where I live. They guys there know nothing about Epiphone guitars. My drummer says that they are good about drums however and helped him a good deal.

To give you an example: I called and asked them if they had or could order Epiphone replacement parts. He said sure, we have them and can order them too. I went there and sure enough, they did NOT have them or could NOT order them. The guy straight up lied to me! I drove for two hours for no reason! I was so mad!

I am boycotting GC from now on!

last time in I heard the guy telling the inexperienced couple about the differences in finishes..

on 200.00 acoustics.

they tend to be salesmen.. they tend to use whatever line is handy...they don't inform, they don't educate, they don't really

give you much of anything but a pitch.

may as well go best buy, sometimes.

On the other hand. they have a lot of stuff.. they even have a luthier and bench at my GC..

and they look like musicians.

I'm not a big Guitar Center fan either, and I go back to the pre-Web days when they didn't put prices on their gear; you had to ask the sales person and then haggle with the guy ("Let me go back and ask my manager". Ugh). On the other hand, I went in recently to buy some picks, and asked the guy at the counter a question (can't remember what). He then talked for 10 minutes about different pick materials, sizes, etc., and their pros and cons. He was friendly, humorous, self-deprecating, and wasn't trying to get me to buy expensive ones. I guess you never know when you'll find a diamond in the rough.

It doesn't surprise me that music stores in a music town like Austin would

have to be on top of their game moreso than perhaps some other cities.

GC gets their people from the same shallow end of the pool that other

retailers (Circuit City, etc.) do, except maybe for a requirement that they

play an instrument. But they do have a large selection, let us play them

and have good prices. I do not expect expertise at GC and I'm happily

surprised if I get some.

GC is the Radio Shack of musical instruments. You need to know what you need before you go and have some kind of reference to a stock number and proof that it is there. I like to print something from the web page if it isn't something that is common. Then you can show them the picture with a stock number. It just makes it easier.

I really like GC. It is the one place where you can actually touch and hear most anything you want, including recording equipment. I was able to compare studio monitor speakers side by side before buying and chose the Rockit 5's. I'm a touchy/feely guy when it comes to musical intruments.

I think it depends on where your GC is located and whether they have a large musician population to hire from. There are 5 around Atlanta and a lot of musicians who work at GC. I have found reasonable knowledge and expertise in the local GC stores. Of course, there are a couple that really shine due to the size and the employees who work there.

Archived