Gibson Brands Forums

Epi pickup mod question

Whitmore Willy

My oldest grandson wants to put a set of GFS mean 90's in his L.P. special and asked me to help. I have no experience with these but I know some of you have put them in your guitars.

I was under the impression these are single coil pickups. I was also under the impression that single coil pickups normally use 250k pots with .047 caps.

Keeping in mind he only has one vol. and one tone. Should we change the 500k pots and .02 cap? If not, what makes the difference? (And yes, I know the guitar hardly warrents it but it will be a learning experience for both of us.)

Thank you.....Willy

My oldest grandson wants to put a set of GFS mean 90's in his L.P. special and asked me to help. I have no experience with these but I know some of you have put them in your guitars.

I was under the impression these are single coil pickups. I was also under the impression that single coil pickups normally use 250k pots with .047 caps.

Keeping in mind he only has one vol. and one tone. Should we change the 500k pots and .02 cap? If not' date=' what makes the difference? (And yes, I know the guitar hardly warrents it but it will be a learning experience for both of us.)

Thank you.....Willy[/quote']

When I rewired my Sheraton II with new Seymour Duncan pickups, I discovered that Gibson used 500 mega ohm pots with a .022 cap for the bridge pickup and a .047 for the neck. I ended up using more readily available .020 and .050, and I'm happy with the result.

Keeping in mind he only has one vol. and one tone. Should we change the 500k pots and .02 cap? If not' date=' what makes the difference? (And yes, I know the guitar hardly warrents it but it will be a learning experience for both of us.)

Thank you.....Willy[/quote']

The 500k pots and the .022 caps are fine for the GFS mean 90's! The 250K /.047 is more of a fender single coil value and the mean 90's are actually a bit of a hybrid pickup anyway. I have them in a Joe Pass with 500K pots and .022 caps and they are nice and warm sounding.

P-90s are not as freakingly bright as Fender single coils so they don't need such extreme measures as 250K pots and .047µF caps to keep them in control. Actually Fender uses .022µF caps too these days; the .047µF caps are pretty much only used on basses now.

Higher value pots do a better job at preventing bleeding signal to ground. In other words will retain more highs or sound more trebly. Lower value pots will roll off highs a bit. You can use this to compensate for a PU character.

Generally they use 500K pots for humbuckers, and 250K for single-coils.

Archived