Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Sheraton II parts.

Gilmore

Hi

I just received a beautiful Sheraton. But I would like to change some parts of it. I want to put in Gibson 57 classic pickups, change the bridge and tailpice to Gibson brand and also change the nut to more quality.

Do the parts from Gibson fit my Sheraton. Also what nut would fit the guitar and what parts I mentioned would you recomend if the Gibson parts do not fit??

Pickups can be changed, and a lot of us have done so. I posted a guide to doing it here a couple of months ago. The important thing is that the pickups are the standard Gibson full size humbucker dimensions, so the possibilities are pretty broad...dbirchett put a set of Gretsch-style pickups in his Sheraton, in fact.

Unless you have the tools and experience to shape and cut a new nut, it's best to take the guitar to a good tech to do that for you. The nut is critical for playability, and easy to screw up.

Gibson bridges and tailpieces don't fit, according to what other owners have posted, due to different spacing of the studs. Someone said that Stewart-McDonald parts are made to the Gibson specs, so they don't fit either. In my opinion the standard parts are fine.

Thank you for your answers. I guess i just put in new pups for now. I already have Gibson 500t and 496R pups i took from my LP Classic. How do you think they will sound in the Sherry? But I think they won´t look good uncovered, so do you think I could use the covers on the pups in the Sherry, and is it hard to put them on?

Thank you for your answers. I guess i just put in new pups for now. I already have Gibson 500t and 496R pups i took from my LP Classic. How do you think they will sound in the Sherry? But I think they won´t look good uncovered' date=' so do you think I could use the covers on the pups in the Sherry, and is it hard to put them on?

[/quote']

Both MF and Stewmac have covers. I'd check to see if the Epi covers fit first, but they may not. Here's something from another forum on the subject:

"I can take a PAF over off and put it back on, solder it up so no one would ever know. It's not difficult to do.

So by all means remove the covers and see if it makes the difference you're looking for. Just don't pry them off with a screw driver. That is not the way to do it.

Just make sure you sand the plating off the inside lip of the cover where you intend the solder to stick. You don't need to do this on a nickel silver HB baseplate. I like to use a flux pen on to encourage solder flow where I intend the solder to stick.

If you then want to remove the covers at a later date you can easily cut through the joint using a utility blade. Imagine you're using a non-serrated knife to cut through some frozen meat. It's that kind of action that you'll need to cut through the solder. I have never damaged a coil doing this, ever!"

I saved it because I plan to get a Gibson faded SG and when I do, it'll get covers.

Those pickups are the "hottest" that Gibson makes, so they'll be good for "Blues" or "Hard Rock,"

especially. '57's or something similar, are (quite often) used in Sheri's because they are lower out-

put, and tend to be a bit cleaner, in tone. So, depending on what kind of music you intend to play,

either could work. Most, seem to prefer the '57's or Burstbuckers, but not all.

CB

I already have those pups, but I have 57 in my 61 SG and Burstbuckers Pro in my LP, so I want to try out those 500 and 496 since i already have them at hand, but I think I will buy a gold covered set of 57´s if I don´t like the 500 and 496. :-$

Thanks for great answers. :)

i replaced my stock sherry pups with 490R and 498T and so far i'm liking them..i wanted the guitar to have more flexibility than what i intended it for (jazz fusion)..a thing to note though, if your sherry is samick made it probably has the odd bridge with shorter saddle spacing so it won't line up with the polepieces on gibson humbuckers..i changed the bridge to a gotoh 103b, not a perfect fit, had to force it in slightly but now the alignments way better..

Hi

I just received a beautiful Sheraton. But I would like to change some parts of it. I want to put in Gibson 57 classic pickups' date=' change the bridge and tailpice to Gibson brand and also change the nut to more quality.

Do the parts from Gibson fit my Sheraton. Also what nut would fit the guitar and what parts I mentioned would you recomend if the Gibson parts do not fit??

[/quote']

The Gibson pickups will require new mounting rings, and screws.. sheris are metric no matter their country of manufacture

otherwise they will fit fine.. though the screw holes will be a tad off, they'll still work.

bridge and tailpiece switched to gibson brand.. again, you have metric, gibson is usa, will require more than just swapping parts.

tone pros has metric bridges of equally high quality to gibsons, so do some others such as Gotoh. These may not

require any woodwork..

it depends on the country of manufacture, the plant, as they varied some things about the sheris over the years.

you probably have a new one, measure the distance between the screws of both bridge and tail, and compare to specifications of parts typically available such as www.allparts.com or www.wdmusic.com

For your nut I suggest bone... or Tusq, man made bone. both are excellent and look sharp, too.

These are available as direct replacement, and slotted. I have on on my samick, korean sheri.

For your bridge tail, you want to find better material and correct fit.. the more dense the material, the better your tone and volume will be. So measure and then check out the specs and you'll be cool. With a sheri I say ALWAYS ask before ordering.. get the salesman to tell you it fits and he knows that.

You shouldn't have any problem at all with pickups and mounting rings.

You should have no problem finding a better nut.

You should consider CTS or Alpha mini pots... with Sprague or Mallory capacitors for your tone controls, and a

switchcraft or equal quality three way switch.

You should be aware of hole sizes for these parts.. and you should consider upgrading all wiring inside the

guitar while you're at it.

It's a huge pain in the butt. Period. I've done it a number of times. I don't think I ever got it right the first time except for once! However, I never regretted the hassle. Boy can these babies rock!

don't forget your output jack.. get a nice gold switchcraft in there.

sheilded wire for all hot leads.

TWANG

Archived