Gibson Brands Forums

Fake epiphones - not just for ebay anymore.

FrankS1281734010

So I was at one of my local shops today and I spotted a G-400 that just didn't look right. There was a legit one right next to it so luckily I had something to compare it to. The mother-of-toilet-seat Epiphone logo and the crown inlay thing were too small, the pickguard was misshapen, the bridge wasn't angled at all (perpendicular to the strings), the serial number was in blue and didn't have any kind of letter denoting what factory it came from, the bevels were way off, the list goes on. One interesting thing though, was that it still had an Epiphone inspection tag thing on it, and it was being sold as new.

I only felt the need to share because too many a time I have seen someone here saying "well, I only buy from my local dealer so I know I'm not getting scammed...yadda yadda" I don't think it was the shop trying to fool the customers, I think they just didn't realize. In any case, the lesson is don't trust a shop just because they have an Epiphone sign on their door.

Buy from larger Authorized dealers, that have liberal return policies........everythin I buy has a 30 day "test drive" period, that they DO actually honor (i've had to use it twice in the past year alone).

That way, even if the DEALER gets smoked.......YOU don't have to.

Now you guys are scaring me. ](*,) I just bought (it's currently in transit) a "like new" cherry Epi Dot. The seller is also including a strap and a case. I got it all for the price of $320 including shipping. I thought that was a reasonable price for a used Dot (especially after reading a thread here about a 24% drop in value after purchasing new). So what do you guys think? Will I get screwed or not? Maybe we should start a pool. :)

I just read this from leicester35 on the "Epiphone Dot - Fake or Real?" thread. "From what I've read, Dots aren't faked much - fakers mainly aim at Black Beautys and other high-end LPs. Enjoy your guitar." I feel a little better now. We'll see...

Archived