Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup Problems

o8jedi

So, among other guitar-related things, I'm trying to pin down what pickups I should get to replace the ones in my Epi LP Std. I'm a big fan of the PAF sound, but I also want a bit more edge, so I naturally started leaning toward the BurstBucker Pros (mostly because I prefer wax-potted pups).

There's just one small problem: 2-conductor wiring. If there's an opportunity for 4-conductor's I'd take it in a heartbeat because I'd love to have a coil-tapped guitar for the added versatility.

So out of the myriad of PAF approximations, which ones should I take a gander at that both sounds similar to Gibby's BB Pros but also has the ability to tap?

Kent Armstrong

PAF alnico magnet chrome black gold or uncovered

8.9K ohm resistance

six or twelve pole pieces.. I like twelve

a little more high end than vintage pafs.. with a bit more power as well.

Got one in my epi lp bridge and it's staying.

TWANG

I stick to DiMarzio super distortion pickups. I`ve had them on several guitars I owned. They are on two of my babies now. My 1968 SG Standard and my 1965 Epiphone Coronet.

+1 for DiMarzio. I've had a Dual Sound in my Les Paul since the late 70's early 80s (Can't remember for sure when I put it in)? Sounds great and I've never had a problem with it. The Dual Sound is basically the same as their super distortion.

Although' date=' they've stopped making them you could look for some used or left over DiMarzio's Virtual Hot PAF - DP214 and it is 4 conductor. In fact, this place is going out of business gtrheaven

and they have Virtual hots in black for $49.95

they also have some SD pearly gates priced between $69.95-$79.95

FYI: I have bought 3 DiMarzios from this place.

Archived