Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Jr

kgrove85

I have a'57 JR. RI and it isn't top heavy at all. It's a little lighter than my Epi GT LP and Gibby LP. I think it's a little under 8 lbs. This did come with a P100 and I put a GFS P90 in it. When I bought this one I was really in the market for a '56 GT. My local shop didn't have one at the time, but they had this. Since then I got a GT, so I am thinking of selling this one.

I have a couple of G-400s, and though they are neck heavy a good leather strap with rough leather on the side that is against your clothes takes care of that. I have never had any problems with neck diving on any of my SGs or G-400s.

How do you like the '56 GT. My LMS has one is stck and I am thinking about buying it.

Did you swap out the pups?

I love it. The neck is very comfortable to play, it is a nice guitar and very easy to look at. I have the original pickups in it. Over all the pickups are fine and sound great clean. I use a lot of overdrive, boost and compression though. That equates to noise. (I use a tube amp.) I don't notice it so bad with my humbucker guitars, but it raises havoc on the P90s. So I am gonna get some shield paint from Stewmac and see if I can't get rid of some of the hum. If that doesn't work I'm gonna put some GFS P90s in it. They have a set with a reverse wound neck pickup so if the switch is in the middle position the pickups act like humbuckers. It is definitely a keeper once I get this worked out.

Since it seems impossible to find the P90 Jr's anymore would it be possible to buy one of the current Jr models and replace the stock humbucker a dogear P90? Does anyone have any experience doing this?

You know, you're right. I just came back from Ebay and could not find one Epi LP or SG jr. (with a P90). I knew they were getting harder to find but I didn't think they were that hard. I got my '97 Epi SG Jr. about a year ago. At the time you could find at least 5-7 at any given time. But you are right. Right at this moment I can't seem to find one!

Man am I glad I got mine when I did.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived