Gibson Brands Forums

Stupid question #1

pmgnut

Hey and welcome!

I done this at work once as itook it in on nights to set it up.

I plugged it into the aux port on the front of a mini hifi. (had to go from 1/4" jack down smaller to get in the hole on the stereo tho) was about 20watts and it worked. Had to have the volume really loud to hear it tho. Played clean but obviously not the best sounding way to run your guitar.

There is an impedence mismatch. You could, possibly, damage the amp or the speakers - unless you run into something like a guitar trainer or amplug where the output to the amp will be same as a CD player. You may still get bad sound. Stereo speakers are far less robust than instrument speakers. You may still blow out speakers.

New to all this so pardon the lack of knowledge. When I get an electric guitar' date=' can I plug it into my home stereo/reciever in place of an amplifier?[/quote']

Hopefully this ain't a troll...

Anyway you can plug guitar to line-in connector. It works perfectly. But sound will be clean and thus it will sound even worse than playing without amplifier. But you can use this just to test that electronics of your guitar work. To get it workable you have to use computer and line-in connector of soundcard ( integrated or separate ). Problem with some computer system is mandatory delay. Some work perfectly and others ( most ) are really annoying.

suggestion:

I used to practice via pc speakers... but you have to have a pedal with a stereo output.. you need the preamp.

I say this cause that's a way to use what you already have..

you can't crank it much.. but with the speakers right in front of you, it's good.

A three way speaker system just isn't made for a guitar signal.. when they record stuff there's lots of compression and RIAA standards..

and the result it those speakers are just made to do somethig else.

Plus what these other guys are saying.

I used a set of creative labs . I suppose they had the usual oblong egg shaped speakers 3" or so.. and they worked fine...

I'd run my cd into my digitech multi efx.. you can use a little zoom or some other brand..

and the guitar plugs into that..

then into the speakers.

did it this way for months.. living in an apartment.

so.. fairly cheap.. just remember not to use volume high..

and you can use headphones the same way.

TWANG

Here's a good story: I'm 45 now. When I was 14 I tried doing this with my brother stereo system.

It sounded great until........... the crossovers in the speaker cabinets melted! Literally melted into a big blob of plastic. Boy, was he pissed at me.

I would try buying a small headphone amp. You can get them from $ 19.99 to $ 50.00 bucks.

A suggestion...you can buy a practice 5 watts amp for 49.00$ and you just solved your problem...

+1

You can get a cheap amp from MF in their closeout department. Anything you get there will be better than pumping it through your home stereo. Forty years ago, I used to do that, but those amps were built like brick shithouses. The modern amps are, in a word, more "delicate".

The bass player in my band tried playing his Fender bass through a Lafayette stereo amplifier and speakers. The effect? Fuzztone!

Archived