Gibson Brands Forums

Which is better : Rosewood or Maple neck? (or what's the difference)

twiggy

I don't think I've ever played one with an ebony FB. What is a common guitar with ebony FB?

Gibson LP Custom, and the "Alpine White" LP Studio, SG Custom, Lucille and ES-355, some of the high end Jazz Boxes, etc. Some Gretsch's have them as well...Country Gent, White/Black Falcons, and so forth.

CB

Gibson LP Custom' date=' and the "Alpine White" LP Studio, SG Custom, Lucille and ES-355, some of the high end Jazz Boxes, etc. Some Gretsch's have them as well...Country Gent, White/Black Falcons, and so forth.

CB[/quote']

I guess I will have to go out this weekend and buy a Lucille and ES-355 to see for myself if there is a difference (I wish)

Yeah, I hear that! My LP Custom is almost 30 years old, and "Lucille," while only being about 6 years old, has doubled in price, from when I bought it (new), in that time. But, IT was grossly underpriced (lucky for me), compared to a 335, at the time. So...???

So, aside from saving forever, now...I can't really afford (or justify) those prices, anymore.

Just thankful I got them, when I did, you know?

CB

I don't think I've ever played one with an ebony FB. What is a common guitar with ebony FB?

I think most of the Gibsons in the 1960's had ebony. Very smooth, non-porous wood. I think my Martin acoustic in the 1960's had ebony as well. And I believe that my Byrdlands have an ebony fretboard (I rarely look at the fretboard head-on).

My most recent guitar with an ebony fretboard is my lowly Agile Les Paul 3000.

I guess I will have to go out this weekend and buy a Lucille and ES-355 to see for myself if there is a difference (I wish)

They look nicer (less grainy) but I would be hard pressed to say that they are better than rosewood with the possible exception of being able to bend strings without friction. Rosewood always looked grainer to me, but my Martin D-35 was made of rosewood sides and back, and they were flat as a mirror.

My only issue with the laquered maple fretboards is that, after time, the laquered fretboards tend to turn dark where the gloss has worn off and the wood has absorbed skin oil and dirt. Rosewood shows less in terms of wear, beyond a little shine.

Tone is inherent in the guitar, regardless of fretboard type, IMHO. Even two Strats, which generally have maple necks or maple with rosewood fingerboards, will have unique characteristics due to alder or ash bodies and the coupling (3 or 4 bolt mountings), and the pickup combo. Every "Star" talks about owning many guitars, but only one "sounds and feels right". There's a mind set that has to be satisfied among us players and unless it feels right, it won't sound right.

OMG' date=' didn't expect so much information! cheers lads. To be honest I came accross two fender stratocasters (shhh.... =D> ) with two different necks stated in the names. So was wondering what's the difference and why is so important which wood the neck is made of that it needs to go even to the name of guitar. [/quote']

Simple answer...buy em both and you're covered! I don't think it's as much a tone issue as feel for me, especially with a newer maple neck before you wear the finish off. They all feel slicker and tighter whereas a rosewood board seems to absorb some of that sweat and grime that just sits on top of a finished maple board.

Simple answer...buy em both and you're covered! I don't think it's as much a tone issue as feel for me' date=' especially with a newer maple neck before you wear the finish off. They all feel slicker and tighter whereas a rosewood board seems to absorb some of that sweat and grime that just sits on top of a finished maple board.[/quote']

Buying both is always the best advise, but if you don't have the cash, buy the one that feels best to you. Remember, the amp is going to make a lot of these comments relatively unimportant.

I would expect a maple neck to have more ability to sustain (less internal damping because it is so damned hard!). Rock maple necks are' date=' IMO, the best in terms of durability and performance.[/quote']

Ok "Sam Kinasson". If you are talking about a solid maple neck/fb that are machined as

one piece, (in other words the fb is not glued on afterwards), then I would agree that

the additional wood will contribute to the sustain. But I have a 3 piece maple neck

with an ebony fb on an archtop and it doesn't have what I would call "sustain" as

compared to a Strat or LP. So it depends on several factors as I mentioned in

my first post. The type,construction and wood used in the guitar has a lot to do with it.

...Solidbody vs acoustic, and the electrics.

Even though some strat players swear that the older vintage sSrats

made in the 50s and 60s have more sustain than the newer ones, it's more to do with the hardness

of the maple used back then.

Rosewood FBs on Strats or any other guitar are easy to maintain. You clean the fb,

then oil it with whatever fb conditioner or oil you prefer. If there are any minor grooves,

they can be sanded away, and conditioned with oil and the beauty of the rosewood

fingerboard shows off the guitar.

It's not that easy on a lacquered maple fingerboard that has stained grooves

due to oil and sweat from fingers. However, some players like those well worn

strats with fingerboard grooves and belt buckle rash.

It's not that easy on a lacquered maple fingerboard that has stained grooves

due to oil and sweat from fingers. However' date=' some players like those well worn

strats with fingerboard grooves and belt buckle rash. [/quote']

I think it's the "workman's" guitar. You do see a lot of beat up Fenders out there. Mine still shines, but I tend to clean my Epi's more than my Strat for some reason. Maybe it's because the Epi's and the Washburn are black and I'm anal about finger prints.

I think it's the "workman's" guitar. You do see a lot of beat up Fenders out there. Mine still shines' date=' but I tend to clean my Epi's more than my Strat for some reason. Maybe it's because the Epi's and the Washburn are black and I'm anal about finger prints.[/quote']

You just like pain! Black guitars are not the right choice for those obsessed with finger prints! I had a thing for black guitars a for a while black strat,black tele,2 black Les Pauls...etc..etc.. but I'm over it now......I think:-k

You just like pain! Black guitars are not the right choice for those obsessed with finger prints! I had a thing for black guitars a for a while black strat' date='black tele,2 black Les Pauls...etc..etc.. but I'm over it now......I think:-k [/quote']

LOL! Sometimes BB King's Lucille looks like it was never polished. He has got ham hands, and there's a lot of source for fingerprints.

LOL! Sometimes BB King's Lucille looks like it was never polished. He has got ham hands' date=' and there's a lot of source for fingerprints.[/quote']

But when they are shined up, nothing looks as good.

Now to figure out how to get rid of the black refrigerator and stove.

Archived