Gibson Brands Forums

How much, do you play, now?

charlie brown

I probably dont play as much as I should. I don't really " practice " anymore; aside from rehearsal with the group I play with. I play when I feel like it.

I do find that my playing time goes up when I get a new guitar but I don't think that it has anything to do with the number of guitars that one owns.

I have also found that I am a Les Paul man only. I WANT to like Strats more but I just can't. Everytime I have felt that I " needed " a Strat it would spend most of its time in its case. Wheather its Jimi, Clapton, or SRV, I play it on my Paul.

Interesting topic Charlie. When I gigged I owned 2 guitars, an airline and a Yamaha 12 string. I knew every nuance of both guitars and played 2 - 3 hours a day.

Today...too many guitars and not enough time. I probably total no more than 2 hours a week. But after reading this, I just decided to commit to 30 minutes minimum per day. My fingertips have gotten too soft due to my laziness. Of course working 60 hours a week and travelling 2-3 nights doesn't help either. :-k

I have only two guitars: a KCC Strat copy and my new Epi Les Paul Studio. I got the LP just a few months ago and have played it almost exclusively ever since. I already know the guitar really well and so I haven't felt the need to use my Strat (plus it only has two strings left on it and I'm too lazy to restring it...).

I usually play for at least one to two hours per day, but I usually get carried away and play for ages. Annoyingly, I don't seem to get much better no matter how long I play, but this is probably because I prefer to just play what I know rather than go through the frustration of trying to learn something new.

Well, this is interesting...I'm never sure what the answer is...I myself, seem to go through

periods where a play a LOT, even on my own...and then other times, not so much. Do any

of you feel like some of your inspirations are "seasonal?" Spring and Summer seem to be

MY best times...where I feel more creative, overall...and as such, more inclined to write,

practice old, or learn new stuff. Not sure why that is, really...maybe I have "SAD?" ;>p

However, I do seem to be doing better (recently) in maintaining some kind of practice

level. So...who knows? LOL!

CB

Do any

of you feel like some of your inspirations are "seasonal?" Spring and Summer seem to be

MY best times...where I feel more creative' date=' overall...[/quote']

Biorythms CB. Everyone has them - naturally occur (they can even be charted so that you know when peak "inspiration time" is at hand).

Modern life is hectic -- you have to slow down to tune in.

Everyone can hone their skills by practicing extended reflection sessions and using any meditation like methods (e.g. Tai Chi).

External influences like seasons can/do affect your rythms. Light/dark have effect. People who live where winters are long often psuedo-hibernate creatively until spring comes again.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Biorythms CB. Everyone has them - naturally occur (they can even be charted so that you know when peak "inspiration time" is at hand).

Modern life is hectic -- you have to slow down to tune in.

Everyone can hone their skills by practicing extended reflection sessions and using any meditation like methods (e.g. Tai Chi).

External influences like seasons can/do affect your rythms. Light/dark have effect. People who live where winters are long often psuedo-hibernate creatively until spring comes again.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby...' date=' I'm going to play on:-" [/quote']

Yeah, I knew about biorythms, but I guess I thought of them on a more "day to day," time period,

as opposed to seasonal. But, it still makes sense. Thanks...

CB

I've been playing about 6 hours a week. Most of my time has been spent on my Seagull acoustic, just because the music I've been playing lends itself to that guitar. I'm from Alberta and I don't know if the guys in the US have seen those guitars. They are a medium priced guitar but I got lucky and got one that sounds great. I've recently been spending quite a bit more time on my Strat and I'm having a lot of fun with that. I just bought an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra 2 and it has inspired me to play more. So I only have 3 guitars but I enjoy them all, and having just got a new one it seems to make me play more!

Depends on the stress level of the week. Sometimes I get in 30 minutes a day, sometimes an hour for 2 or three days in a week, plus the 15 minute "walk by and pick it up off the stand and play a few minutes" kind of session. Every time I start noodling, I learn something new that I can use later. KEEP A GUITAR ON A STAND!! Sorry for shouting, but it's important to keep at least one guitar on a stand where you wil be tempted to pick it up and play it.

I find that playing different guitars increases my versatility. I used to feel a little strange when I played my Strat and it always feels different, but because I play several guitars, they tend to feel right, but a little different. I can remember times when I was asked to sit in at a club and someone handed me a strange guitar and the way the guitar didn't feel quite right. Playing several guitars regularly minimizes that and you fall right into a new neck right away if you have to.

I keep an acoustic out also. Playing the acoustic builds finger strength. I like to play the acoustic and then marvel at the speed difference when I put it down and pick up the Les Paul. My Alvarez and my Les Paul have similar necks. The Alvarez is like a weighted bat for guitar players.

Steven mentioned "Biorythms" in answer to one of my other questions, and then I got to

thinking about those times (I'm sure) we all have, where you can want to, or actually start

to play your guitar, and NOTHING "works!" Then, later on...you'll play stuff that even YOU

didn't know you could come up with. I wonder if there's something to the "Biorythms" thing,

going on there. I know moods can have a lot to do with that, as well as being "inspired," too.

But, there have been times, when the inspiration was there, but I just couldn't get anything

"going," even so...and later, that day or even a day or more beyond, when I'd revisit what

I was doing, or tying to do, amazing things would happen. It's mercurial, for sure!

CB

I know exactly what you mean. Only today I found myself trying to play ACDCs Rock n' Roll Train, a song that i have had trouble playing since I first heard it. However, today when I gave it another try, I managed to play it almost perfectly! I often find that there are times when I don't want to do anything but play my guitar, but other times I just can't seem get into it, and this is where I find myself playing badly. If I really want to, I can play fairly decently, but if I'm not in the mood, my skill level drops astonishingly.

By the way, great topic Charlie Brown!

Archived