Gibson Brands Forums

What anplifiers do you own?....

Bangbang

2 -- V3 VJr. heads (stock w/valve upgrades). Sold everything else after I found VJr.s last year.

Next purchase = Marshall JTM-45 - my holy grail amp based on everything I have ever tried. If however a Fender Blues Jr./Custom fell into my lap I'd probably have to keep it.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

I got an Epiphone Valve Standard a couple weeks ago off craigslist, a Marshall 10 watt practice amp and a Pignose.

The Valve Standard is my first tube amp, and after a few small tweaks, new tubes, new speaker, it is starting to sound really good. It's good as a base platform, but after reading up on the forums and a few other websites, iI've started to mod it slightly. I have a Heyboer Output Transformer 18 watt Marshall type for it that needs to get installed, and I think I will be done after that. Replacing the Eminence speaker with a Celestion really improved the overall tone significantly, clearer mids and less mud in the low end. The OT should really unleash some tone.

For some reason i've yet to figure out, my Valvetronix amp when set to model a Twin Reverb or Bassman amp

absolutely LIGHTS UP the tone on both my Epi. guitars.......a G400 Custom Flametop, and my favorite,

a Sheraton II.

It doesn't do this for either of my Gibsons, or either of my Fenders, they all tend to sound flat and "tinny".

Disregarding the weight, (i'm used to heavyweight amps) would a Blues Custom "light up" the rest of my

guitars? Would the 2 Epis. still "yowell" like they do through the VT??

I'm planning a trip to my local GC soon to try 1 out, but i'd like to hear from people that have played

Les Pauls, V-Factors, Tele's, Etc. through the BC.

Recent update to my collection. I just dumped my Digitech GSP1101 (too buggy, too little support) and couldn't be happier with the MXR Carbon Copy I picked up. Go figure. Digital' may have all the whiz bang bells and whistles, but analog's got the real touchy feely heart, and no digital gizmo I've ever had or tried over the years has ever given me that, no matter how much I wanted to like it.

There. I feel better now. Yep. Gotta love them holy grail amps. They can help keep ya focused on the real tones! #-o

Gil...

In order of smallest to largest:

Marshall MS2 -more of a novel paperweight than an amp

Vox DA-5- recovered in apple green; great for travel and power outages

Marshall MG-15CDR - my first amp, still like new, keep for sentimentals

Valve Junior - Marshall mods, Hammond 125ESE, runs a single RamRod 10" cab along

with a Hellatone loaded 212 closedback cab. Head is Version 2

Marshall AVT 50 head with a 1960A cabinet. My son's band used it more than I did.

still annoy the neighbors with it ever so often though....

recently traded a Marshall AVT 20 combo for a Valve Junior head and cab - version 3.

after finishing the first Jr., the AVT 20 was really cold sounding in comparison. Now I've

got a VJ at home and the office. Will probably trade this in on a Valve Senior if they ever

come out. Sweetwater told me mid to late March.

Wedgie

y'all with the Blues Custom amps seem to be pretty happy with them.......i'm seriously concidering putting 1 on my "wish list" for some time early next year.

as far as "bang for the buck" are they really ok? I've not had a chance to "test drive" 1 @ GC yet.

also' date=' have any of you tried Bruce Egnaters new "Rebel" mini 1/2 stack yet? its the one with variable 1-20 watt output, and a balancing pot between the 6v6's and El84's.[/quote']

I bought my BC30 without being able to demo one and have been pretty happy with it. I do like the tone quite a bit and it seems to play well with all of my equipment. The overdrive is nice and smooth but the downside of that is that my Strat's single coils don't drive it into OD nearly as well as my Les Paul, which I upgraded with high output Duncan SH-2/4 pickups. But that's easily remedied by turning up the output on my compressor or DOD 250. Driving the amp with the 250 sounds great.

And, as ebb mentioned, there is no effects loop. I use a phaser pedal sometimes and I don't really mind having it before the preamp but what I do mind mind is not being able to put a looper pedal on an effects loop.

http://forums.epiphone.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=6313#73588

For some reason i've yet to figure out' date=' my Valvetronix amp when set to model a Twin Reverb or Bassman amp

absolutely LIGHTS UP the tone on both my Epi. guitars.......a G400 Custom Flametop, and my favorite,

a Sheraton II.

It doesn't do this for either of my Gibsons, or either of my Fenders, they all tend to sound flat and "tinny".

Disregarding the weight, (i'm used to heavyweight amps) would a Blues Custom "light up" the rest of my

guitars? Would the 2 Epis. still "yowell" like they do through the VT??

I'm planning a trip to my local GC soon to try 1 out, but i'd like to hear from people that have played

Les Pauls, V-Factors, Tele's, Etc. through the BC.[/quote']

I play an Epiphone Les Paul with a Seymour Duncan SH-2 Jazz pickup in the neck and SH-4 JB in the bridge. It sounds great with the BC30 and dirves it with ease.

I recently got a Fender "American Deluxe Ash" Strat with a maple neck, SCN single coils and Fender's S-1 pickup switching. It sounds great on each setting, with the S-1 on or off. I'm not sure if you like bright, but I think the BC30 is a little bright to start with so when you pair it up with brighter pickups (like most single coils are,) you get a pretty bright, snappy, vibrant sound.

Hi, i have :

2 silvertone 1471 amps. one of these was where i learned how to do mods, and now makes a great ac/dc sound. the other is stock. had them about 5 years

Ampeg vh140c 12 years bowel moveing clean channel through a 4x12, pantera distortion channel. **** blues tone.

1971 bassman, silverface. 7 years, completely reworked inside , now it has the late 50 bassman circuit ( 5f6a ? )

1983 jcm 800 2x12 12 years rock n roll animal. stock

1985 peavey bandit 65 bought new in '85

v3 valve jr. bought this year. i read all over this forum, had the dan torres amp book, and i have changed

about 7 things inside the amp. cool girlfriend was the third hand during soldering. even took it in stride when i burned her with the iron.

carvin bel aire 2 years. this thing sounds like a deluxe with el84s i get the most compliments on the sound of this amp, and now also on my modded vjr.

Bender' date=' the biggest disadvantage of the BC30 is the weight. It's daft heavy at over 30kg.

Also, no effects loop if modulation effects are your kind of thing.

Sounds great though, and just perfect volume-wise.[/quote']

Kind of funny to describe weight as a disadvantage. A heavy solid cabinet is a definite plus... until you have to bring it somewhere. #-o I actually bought a cheap 25 watt backup amp to bring to a friend's house because I was tired of lugging my 75 pound Epiphone up and down stairs.

I also definitely agree with the volume comment. I keep my amp on the 15-watt setting and it's just about right for playing in my apartment. I usually keep it on 15 watts when I play with a drummer and there's the 30-watt setting if I need it.

anplifier? what's an anplifier?

amplifiers...

let's see...

my computer... I've had that since last Christmas... (somewhat old, a firewire 800 powermacintosh [2004 is when they stopped production])

an epiphone firefly 30 dsp (not bad for solid state, but the stock speaker is shot)

the tube amps in my organ (2, one of them is for reverb)

of course, the organ amps stay in the organ. i know some people like to make guitar amplifiers out of them, but it's a limited resource. eventually there won't be very many organs from the 60's that you can just rip an old amplifier out of. not to mention, you can't buy 6ba6 or 6au6 tubes new... except from shuguang, and I'm not about to buy vacuum tubes straight out of Hong Kong. Chinese groove tubes are different: there's actually some quality control.

Archived