Gibson Brands Forums

New guitar, dead pickup

Neils

Hi all. I just got one of the 1956 reissue goldtops with 2 p90's. Right out of the box the bridge pick up doesn't work. I took the cover off the back and I found one black wire that is soldered to the back of the bridge volume pot isn't connected to anything. It must have broken off of something but I can't find any sign of it ever being attached to anything else.

The guitar is new, under warranty but still for one wire I'd rather just find where it goes and attach it. And then I assume the pickup will work.

Ideas?

Thanks

Neil

yeah. take a look at a schematic or diagram .. try guitarelectronics.com

to be sure where it connects.. solder it on.. should be good to go.

don't forget, when soldering to the pot itself.. on the back or on the lugs. turn the knob all the way down first.

TWANG

Also' date=' check the 3 way switch. I had that same problem on a Gibson (I thought), and it turned out to

be a faulty switch. I fixed it, myself, and it's worked just fine, ever since!

CB[/quote']

I think he has an actua, visible, unattached wire near a pot.

Should just be able to see where the other black wire is soldered and do the same thing on the other volume knob.

Just bring it back from the store you bought it from and say it dosen't work. I woulden't mess around with that sort of stuff with a new guitar.
Half the people on this forum do that with every new guitar they get - new pickups, new pots, etc.

It's only one solder joint.

Hi all,

Someone mentioned don't return a whole guitar that CAN'T be replaced. I agree! I couldn't get another '56 Goldtop P90 from the dealer, he had none and the Sam Ash/GC/MF stores no longer list it at all. As I said it is one solder joint.

Or so I thought...........

Grounding that mystery wire did nothing. One wire yes but not the problem. Turned out while strumming with the back cover off and moving wires around I found an intermittent connection in that white plastic 4 wire multi-connector. If I pull the wire the right way the bridge pickup worked. So what I will do is cut the connector out and hardwire the connection from the pup switch to the pots.

So that was it.

Neil

Hi all' date='

Someone mentioned don't return a whole guitar that CAN'T be replaced. I agree! I couldn't get another '56 Goldtop P90 from the dealer, he had none and the Sam Ash/GC/MF stores no longer list it at all. As I said it is one solder joint.

Or so I thought...........

Grounding that mystery wire did nothing. One wire yes but not the problem. Turned out while strumming with the back cover off and moving wires around I found an intermittent connection in that white plastic 4 wire multi-connector. If I pull the wire the right way the bridge pickup worked. So what I will do is cut the connector out and hardwire the connection from the pup switch to the pots.

So that was it.

Neil[/quote']

Uh oh - now this is gonna start a huge argument about the plastic connectors vs. solder.

(sigh)

Archived