Gibson Brands Forums

Floor effects unit recommendation

Guest alanhindle

Guest alanhindle

I'm looking in to purchasing a multi-effects unit.

I currently have a Zoom H4 digital recorder which has all the effects that can be found on the very basic Zoom floor unit but I'm not that impressed as the amp models aren't that good and its not very user friendly in its capacity as an effects unit.

What I really want is a floor based multi pedal board to use with an amp.

I've been looking at the following on this page of www.thomann.de which are all in the £100-£150 range:

Digitech RP250 (£97)

Boss ME20 (£109)

Digitech RP350 (£125)

Line 6 Floor Pod (£130)

Korg Toneworks AX3000G (£150)

Boss ME50 (£167)

I want a unit which has a selection of delays, modulations, distortions, separate reverb, separate EQ, an expression pedal (for Wah), a tuner and the facility to do presets.

The ideal qualities of the unit would be:

1. Good quality effects

2. Pedals are essential

3. Ease of operation (plenty of dials you can tweak with simple/traditional selection of effects rather than loads of menus with only a couple of buttons to operate the various features)

4. Sturdiness/impact resistance

5. Works well with both valve and SS amplifiers

-In built amplification/modelling would be nice so that it could be used on its own with headphones but not at the expense of any of the above five 'ideals' (I still have my Zoom H4 if I want to use headphones anyway).

My current amps are my old 1987 solid state Peavey Backstage 50, my new Peavey Royal 8 Valve King 5W and a little Marshall MS4 battery operated stack so I have a variety of stuff to use it with. I also have an old Yamaha Digital Delay pedal with which I can get a variety of delays from springy reverby sounds to long delays.

I guess I'm leaning towards the Boss ME50 but does anybody recommend any of the others I've been looking at, or anything else that they can suggest.

NB. I don't really want to spend any more than the cost of an ME50.

Thanks in advance.

Alan

I have the RP350 and like the versatility. I run it into my laptop and use X-Edit software that can be downloaded from the Digitech site. What this provides is much more control over making the adjustments with the box, plus the hassle of constantly bending over if you want to deviate from the settings. I really don't think you lose much if you go with the 250. I was fortunate to find a good deal on a new one on E-bay.

I'm not a technical person so I really can't give you a review. All I can say is I use my RP350 all of the time and run it through a Valve Jr and sometimes a Vox AD30VT.

I also looked at the ME50, which is probably better, but also cost more.

The discontinued Yamaha DG Stomp is a great multi effects pedal. It's controls are like a real amplifier, the amp models are very tube like and warm, and the the distortions are not overdone. It does not do a good Metallica scooped tone, but the trade-off is a very easy to use on the fly unit. The other downside is there is no noise gate (it's very quiet though) and it's hard to find.

Christian

yamahadgstomp.jpg

I bought a used ME50 on Ebay, and I really like the quality of the effects. The only thing is that you need to buy another foot switch to move "Bank Up" or "Bank Down." A little inconvenient, but still worth it for me.

I use the RP350, and I love it. The unit by itself is a bit trick to tweak, but with the Xedit software it is a breeze. I also Downloaded Audacity, and now have the ability to record my music through the RP350 directly to the Computer. The newer RP350s come with LE4 software witch allows you to record without download. With the RP350, you also have the ability to download user presets that other owners have created, and use them. The Digitech website forums have a lot of users that have uploaded their setups for you to try and build from.

I use a Line6 PODx3 Live. Great pedal, will model 2 amps/chains at one time. I love having a clean or slightly dirty channel matched with an OD chain. You can also kill the amp modelling function and just use the FX part of the chain and run it into your amp. I do this with my Valve Jr. Also, with the 2 separate chains, you run 1 chain to one amp on the left side of the room and the other to a second amp on the right side of the room. This makes for a really cool effect. It has right and left 1/4 inch out, plus right and left DI XLR outs as well. If you're gigging, you can run the 1/4's to your amp to monitor your sound and then XLR to the sound board.

I love mine and don't really see how it could be any better.

Oh yeah, and there is the Line 6 online tone library where all you have to do is USB in to your computer and download the tone your looking for, minor tweaking required sometimes since the author is not using your guitar and amp when he made the patch lol!!!!

I run my 295 straight to the amp (with Goodrich volume pedal in line) for my jazz/swing work. I have always used Digitech (currently the 250) for my other guitars and country/rock/etc stuff as I prefer to use a variety of tones/styles/effects for that type of work. LOVE MY 295 !!

I use the built-in effects in my Vox AD50VT. I'm not looking for a lot of effects, just a good clean channel and a decent tube type break over crunch for distortion. Occasionally, I'll flip to chorus/Reverb. I'm a blues/rock kind of player.

Archived