Gibson Brands Forums

Help identifying 90's les paul

Olli Walli

I am having trouble identifying an epiphone limited edition standard les paul that I purchased in 1997. I will post pictures of it tonight when I get home. Below is a description of it.

It is a trans black flame top with all black hardware.

It came with matching pearloid pickguard, truss rod cover, and the circle that goes around the pickup selector switch.

It has limited edition stamped on the back of the head.

The serial number comes back as made in Korea in June of 1996.

Pretty much, it is a Joe Perry look alike. It looks nearly identical to the Gibson Joe Perry that came out in 1997.

I am having an extremely hard time finding another Epiphone of the same color and have not found another that had all black hardware and the matching pearloid items.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I'll be happy to provide the serial number if this will help.

Has anyone else seen an Epiphone that matchs this description?? I purchased it new and have not changed any items on the guitar.

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Olli,

Pics look more like Epiphone's trans root beer color than trans black. Other than that I think you pretty well called it.

"96" L.P. standard plus, limited run. The "L" in the serial number does signify Korea. There is no specific factory listing for the L. (production may have run from more than one factory)

Looks like you've kept it in good shape......Nice looking guitar.

Archived