Gibson Brands Forums

Any ukelele players in?

Mugatu

I know this isn't an Epiphone thread, or an electric thread for that matter, but I thought I'd get a better response here. Every ukelele specific forum I've sought out seems to have died a death.

Does anyone play a ukelele in their spare practice time?

I've fancied getting a Mahalo ukelele for a bit of fun. Bit of light relief from guitars if you like. They are cheap and seem like a laugh a minute. And they sell them in my local guitar shop for about £25 (35 dollars or so).

mahalooutfitxr9.jpg

So, anyone use one? Which make is good to go for?

I've fancied a ukulele or a mandolin (or both) for quite some time, but I've always been put off by the price.

I'm afraid that the cheap ones will be just that, and the companies I know are always expensive. I know Epiphone makes a Masterbilt ukulele and several mandolins, but I can't justify spending that much money on what, in my mind, is a "toy" instrument.

Especially since I don't know how to play. If I did, I would have no problem paying for an Epiphone Mandobird or a more traditional mandolin.

If you want a nice one, though, I guarantee you'll like this one:

Ukulele

I've often been tempted by unusual instruments (such as trying to play a Sitar at a party one night, after having had (decidedly) one over the eight, much to its owner's distress...('yeah, give it here, I can play Paint it Black, hic...')). I can play blues harp. Slightly. Don't ask me to play a chromatic harmonica.

I don't think I've ever picked up a ukele. But now you've set me thinking...

We have somewhat of a heritage of ukelele and banjo-ukelele players, here in England... My Grandfather remembered being "entertained" by this chap, at some juncture during World War II:

I've got a cheap ukelele which I play from time to time, probably about the same price as your looking at. Mines a "Lazy" Ukelele, i've been told that non laquered ones sound better but i've never played a cheap laqured one! I like all musical instruments really and i'll try my hand at anything (I had the chance to have a go at a harp once, and managed to pick out a few simple things on it). Its a bit of fun really but people are amused by me playing it, especially hip hop/ r&b (not REAL rhythm and blues, i'm sure you guys know what I mean). I've never even tried recording my ukelele, I should at some point. I've also got a domra, a melodica and other bits and pieces that make noise.

I say go for it man. Heres a handy website for learning some chords..... link

I have the MasterBilt Epiphone and it is a lot of fun to play. I bring it to work with me sometimes to mess around with during downtime. While it may be small a toy it most certainly isn't. I was amazed at the projection and tone this little darling has!

uke1.jpg?t=1229686975

I have the MasterBilt Epiphone and it is a lot of fun to play. I bring it to work with me sometimes to mess around with during downtime. While it may be small a toy it most certainly isn't. I was amazed at the projection and tone this little darling has!

uke1.jpg?t=1229686975

Hey Svet I just looked up that Uke and choked! It's cute,but $525 for a Uke is a little pricey for me! That's half what I paid for a Martin D-35! You better have killer Uke chops to drop that on a guitar "mini me"!LOL:-k

decent players start at around $50...below that is usually on the toy / junky side...check

out the Lanikai brand...my pineapple is a blast and has stayed in tune for about 3 years

now...

great book:

http://www.ukuleleworld.com/hl331114-book-a-visual-history-..-jim-beloff.html

fun site (but seems to be temporarily offline):

http://www.alligatorboogaloo.com/uke/

Archived