Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson/Epiphone vs Fender

leicester35

II'm sure you'd have a heck of an argument mostly landing in the 1960's of either brand.

I agree with most of what you stated but I think you'll find most people lusting for guitars from Fender and Gibson that were produced in the 50's. Now that was the golden era!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love both fender and Gibson/Epiphone. I currently own a Mex Telecaster and will be getting a Epiphone Les Paul fixer upper this week. I love playing both les paul's and my tele but i find the tele is much easier to play also the neck feels really small which gets on my nerves.

A Tele is a must have in one's arsenal.

I've got to second that. For years I thought the Les Paul was the only electric guitar, but I just got myself a Telecaster Lite Ash, and I love it. Fantastic neck, and it doesn't hurt that it weighs about half of what a Les Paul does...

I like the playability of Gibson/Epiphone guitars more than Fenders, but to me it comes down to the single-coil vs. humbuckers debate: Humbuckers play metal, jazz and rock chords very very well. Single coils play through fuzz pedals and effects well, and they have great lead, single note and picking tone.

I've got to second that. For years I thought the Les Paul was the only electric guitar, but I just got myself a Telecaster Lite Ash, and I love it. Fantastic neck, and it doesn't hurt that it weighs about half of what a Les Paul does...

I love my tele though i wanted it in black with black scratch plate but i settled for red cherry which is still sweet

I have a strat as well as my sheraton. Can't really see the sense in a Fender v Epi/Gibson debate, as both produce quite different types of guitars. Both of my guitars are really different in all regards: appearance, weight, feel, hardware. They're both very versatile though, so betweent them I can get a real range of sounds. They complement each other, rather than compete with each other!

My first "real" guitar was a rosewood tele and I loved it (still miss her actually, though I haven't seen her in 25 years or more).

Over the years, I discovered that thanks to my short cigar butt fingers, I'm far more comfortable with the Gibson/Epi scale, so I've been a dedicated LP guy for almost as long as I've been without the ol' tele.

I've always kept a strat in the guitarsenal, but honestly, I don't think I've even opened the case since I moved in '02. I automatically go for my LP/SGs or the hammered old "beater" Junior.

Much as I like the sounds that many other players get from Fenders, I've never played one that felt right to me. My first love is big ol' hollow bodies (not part of the Fender "thang"), which may explain a lot. Meanwhile, I get all the Fender-y type sounds I need from my Peavey T-60, which also has very nice humbucker tones and feels better to my hands than a Strat or Tele.

Fender made a beautiful twin seymour duncan humbucker stratocaster. It has a spectacular top and a set neck. It is an awesome guitar. A shop near me has one for about 400 and something. It does

not have a pickguard and the humbuckers are set in the body like a LP. This guitar

has been in the store for quite some time and doesn't seem to get purchased. I'm not sure

of the name of it; a showmaster or something like that. I would love to buy it but they

won't come down in price even though its been around for a few years. They say it is

out of production and therefore retains its value so they will hold on to it until someone

buys it. It is a fabulous looking Fender.

If you are interested in it email me at mjbolcuc@dejazzd.com and I will give you the phone

number of the place, n/affln, and you can talk to them. They guitar plays really nicely I would

love to own it but don't see it happening soon.

Duffy

Winfield, Pa.

Since this is a Epi Gib Fender discussion I thought I'd mention that the new Squire, of

all things, the Classic Vibe '60s is a beautiful inexpensive guitar. It probably isn't what you were

thinking of checking out because it's sss. The Classic Vibe Squires are incredible for the value and

sound super great. I had the bridge tone control mod done to mine before I picked it up and had

pure nickel strings put on it. It sounds incredible.

Check out that Showmaster or Stagemaster or something like that that Fender made a few

years ago with no pickguard and two Seymour Duncan humbuckers. I think the top is flammed maple

and the neck is a set neck. It is a beautiful guitar. Probably didn't make very many.

Duffy

Peter,

I have a '08 G and L Tribute ASAT classic semi hollow with antique finish quilted maple swamp ash top, mahogany body and maple neck and fretboard with the regular USA ASAT pickups on it. Very nice ax. Quite similar to this one except for the humbuckers. I bought an '08 Squire Telecaster Custom II with duncan designed P90s in black and it is really great tone, not to expect it to sound like the Fender, but it is noise cancelling in the middle position. I want to put the real Seymour Duncan P90s on it, but it sounds great now. I can only imagine that it would sound way better with the real SD's on it.

Duffy

Peace

Archived