Gibson Brands Forums

Delay Recommendations

spaaarky21

I've been thinking about getting a delay pedal in the $100-200 range. Any recommendations? I try to buy analog pedals when possible but analog seems fairly limited when it comes to delay effects. The digital pedals have more features including longer delay times but I can't really imagine using more than a second or so of delay. I've been burned by the appeal of features before. In fact, that's why I stay away from companies like Boss - their pedals are consistent, quiet and highly tweakable but the result is a sterile sound. You can dial in whatever kind of sterile sound you want though. :-k

The pedals I am looking at are the MXR Carbon Copy or Guyatone MD-3. Any first hand opinions?

-Brandon

Absultively pozolutely gotta try an MXR Carbon Copy. I just bought one to replace my EH Deluxe Memory Man cuz it blew that old pedal right out of the water and then some! It doesn't mess with my tone in the least, but has the most wonderfully warm delays you can imagine. Transparent is a good word for it. The modulation is so good, I may never get around to tweaking the trim pots inside. Makes a great ambiance pedal, too, (think small room reverb simulation) with the delay short and the feedback up. Combined with the MXR Stereo Chorus (or any other chorus pedal, I suppose), the modulations of the two pedals together create a sort of Univibey Leslie effect that's to die for.

Highly recommended. #-o

Gil...

I was looking at the Carbon Copy but didn't quite realize it had the modulation. Go figure. Throw that feature on top of being analog and that might just be a winning combination.

Not sure I'm surprised about the Marshall pedal though. I read similar things about their tremolo/vibrato pedal a while back. I ended up with an EHX Stereo Pulsar and am happy.

No hands-on experience, but I've heard good things about the Artec Analog Delay. A basic delay, no modulation like the MXR, but at a third of the price. Artec is the Korean pickup manufacturer for some budget bulltique PU brands.

108708.jpg

I like a lot about the Carbon Copy. Too bad I can't stomach the thought of anything store bought on my board! ;-)

I used to have a Chandler stereo digital delay...that was pretty cool, and did modulation tricks really well. It's only rackmount, however.

I'll be building one soon...probably analog, just because.

I picked up a used Visual Sound H2O recently for about $80 and I like the combination of chorus and just a hint of delay (which is what this unit does best IMO).....really warm. It doesn't have a ton of flexability,but that's not what I was looking for. For the subtle ambient effect I like it a lot ......much better than the memory man I sold! I also like the dual wet/dry outputs.....with 2 amps it sounds HUGE!

I picked up a used Visual Sound H2O recently for about $80 and I like the combination of chorus and just a hint of delay (which is what this unit does best IMO).....really warm. It doesn't have a ton of flexability' date='but that's not what I was looking for. For the subtle ambient effect I like it a lot ......much better than the memory man I sold! I also like the dual wet/dry outputs.....with 2 amps it sounds HUGE![/quote']

$80 bucks for an R.G.Keen box? O:) Total Score! The fresh ones are not cheep! I was actually looking at an H2O at the local shop when I finally threw down for the MXR boxes... in this case for the flexibility of separate pedals.

Oh yeah, and that dastardly "D" word kinda scared me off. Hybrid or not, my recent Digitech fiasco bit me in the butt so severely that I just had to swear off the "D's". I'm trying to stay on the clean and dirty analog wagon from here on out. I'm worried that if I find a single DSP in any new toys, I'm probably gonna freak out and gut 'em, just because. [-( Hey, I can't throw out perfectly good chassis material! #-o

Gil...

I REALLY like my EH Echo One with the EVJr and my Blues Jr. It gives both amps such a warm creamy tone even if it's set on very little actual delay. Now it sounds very sterile with my DRRI. Of course all my main pedals sound kinda sterile thru my DRRI. Don't know whether it's the C-10 cap or 6V6 tubes as opposed to the EL84's in the other two amps. Even if I play live with the DRRI and have the volume up there pretty good where the C-10 should theoretically be nullified, my pedals that sound awesome with the EVJr and BJr sound bad thru the DRRI.

$80 bucks for an R.G.Keen box? =P~ Total Score! The fresh ones are not cheep! I was actually looking at an H2O at the local shop when I finally threw down for the MXR boxes... in this case for the flexibility of separate pedals.

Oh yeah' date=' and that dastardly "D" word kinda scared me off. Hybrid or not, my recent Digitech fiasco bit me in the butt so severely that I just had to swear off the "D's". I'm trying to stay on the clean and dirty analog wagon from here on out. I'm worried that if I find a single DSP in any new toys, I'm probably gonna freak out and gut 'em, just because. =; Hey, I can't throw out perfectly good chassis material! :-k[/quote']

And what fiasco was that? Analog seems to be the way to go for quality's sake, especially when it comes to hot signals (bad clipping) or quiet signals (not enough resolution.) I do have a Boss looper in my chain though. No real complains but I would like to keep that as the only digital one. I would rather not have my signal converted from analog to digital and back repeatedly before it gets to the amp.

Oh, and I forgot about Ibanez's analog reissue delay. Anyone have any experience with those.

I bought a Digitech GSP1101 last summer, only to discover that it didn't quite live up to the hype. It's severely dumbed down in ways that I didn't care for (like being crippled for non-Digitech midi controllers). It also had some significant bugs. Firmware/software support isn't what it should be for such a high end product which Digitech virtually abandons by pulling programmers to work on the bugs in the bottom end cheepo toys that they sell more of. That kind of business ethic means no more Digitech toys for me.

And this year, I found myself in need of something to trade in for Christmas presents; so, I dumped the Digitech and took a huge bite out of my own arse on that investment. But, things turned out for the better both socially and tonally as a result , so it was worth the scars in the end.

Gil...

I can't really say thing as an endorsement, because I haven't tried a lot of delay pedals to compare it to, but I have the Line 6 Echo Park and it seems to be pretty nice. It has tons of options packed into a small (but astonishingly heavy) package. One of my favorite setting is the "ducking" setting where your echo doesn't kick in really into you hold a note. That way you can play a fast lead passage without the notes getting lost in the echo and at the end when you hold your note the echo kicks in and makes it sound really full.

TC

Archived