Gibson Brands Forums

Thoughts on adding a Bigsby trem

Emetry

Okay, so I have to admit up front, I know very little about guitars yet, which is partly why I joined these forums, BUT I have a question for you to consider and offer input if you would.

I have a LesPaul Special II Custom.

I also have a DIRE infatuation with Bigsby temolos/vibratos.

Is it possible to install one on my LPS?

From what I've been able to research their B5, or B50 models could theoretically be installed, but I don't know the possible limitations or ramifications of this.

Any insights?

Hello there, it's entirely possible to install a Bigsby on your Epi, myself and many others have.

You're right, the B5/500 would fit, as would the B7/700 (I think) that I opted for. I suppose it's down to taste in the end, just check out Bigsbyguitars.com to see what fits, how stuff looks etc.

As for limitations/ramifications -

Be aware that you are going to have screw holes on the body of your guitar, this may be a problem if you ever take the Bigsby off and you're left with large, ugly holes in the body of your guitar but this isn't an issue if you leave it on.

The Bigsby is the original Vibrato and as such, cannot divebomb or do things that a Floyd Rose can for example. It does however give you that gorgeous vintage vibrato that is subtle and shimmery.

Whilst this is very easy to install yourself, it is feasible that things go wrong and I suppose it's feasible that you bork your guitar (although very unlikely). Like I said though, it's very easy to install yourself.

That's pretty much all I can think of. I'll never take it off my guitar and love having it on personally but, as usual, it's all down to personal preference.

Make sure you check out lots of various Vibrato systems and pick the right one for you.

Ditto.

Make sure you try one first, it's effectively irreversible because of the need to screw it onto the body. Don't expect it to operate like a Strat or a maestro trem, you won't be able to get Hendrix / Blackmore trem techniques to work with it. And re-stringing will take you twice as long.

As I said elesewhere, I think it's the best-looking trem system but the worst to use.

Ditto.

Make sure you try one first' date=' it's effectively irreversible because of the need to screw it onto the body. Don't expect it to operate like a Strat or a maestro trem, you won't be able to get Hendrix / Blackmore trem techniques to work with it. And re-stringing will take you twice as long.

As I said elesewhere, I think it's the best-looking trem system but the worst to use. [/quote']

Re-stringing may take an extra 5 minutes (on a bad day) once you're used to doing it.

If you shim it high enough, you CAN do some pretty agressive dives with it.

It'll raise your single notes about as far as you'd want to, and if properly installed

will trem. powerchords and stay "in tone".

People say a Bigsby makes a guitar lose tune quickly and more often,and/or causes undue string breakage, but i've had no tuning or string breakage problems with mine, and I get pretty agressive with it.

I installed mine in about 4 hrs. using the provided instructions, and couldn't be happier.

Get a roller bridge with it.......or a Bigsby kit with one in it. Also concider a locking nut unit.

GarysCam032.jpg

Not arguing Bender' date=' just curious; have you tried a maestro by comparison?

I had the same Bigsby kit as you on my Tele, the screws in the bridge saddles kept working loose and falling out. Ended up fitting a Mustang bridge instead, and it's much better. [/quote']

I wasn't arguing either.......I've tried a maestro a few times(maybe 5) on a cousins SG.

I've also played several Floyd Rose equipped guitars with fine tuner bridges, and a few Strats.

I didn't really care for the "feel" of the maestro, hard to explain but it felt.....flimsy (?)

The FR's I was constantly "fine tuning" and the Strats had the "flimsy" feel too.

I've not had any problem with the saddle screws (yet) but thanks for mentioning it, i'll keep an eye(& ear) on them.

BTW.......when did you put a humbucker in MY Tele?? (lolol)

Ha, there isn't even a humbucker on MY tele now, that's an old pic!

Mine was a metallic blue mexican standard. I dropped it and chipped the paint, so I sanded it back to the wood and sprayed it tobacco sunburst with nitro; my first attempt at a sunburst. I regret putting the Bigsby on, I don't like the feel of it and hardly use it.

I put the new scratchplate and humbucker on it a year or so ago, plus the "andy summers" 3-way switch. Another mistake; it didn't sound like a Tele anymore. It's now back to the stock plate and pup and no switch.

If you want to avoid drilling new holes and want to use a B5, check out the vibramate, http://www.vibramate.com/index.html might not be cost effective, depending on how much your looking to spend, but its worth a look. Also, a Les Trem is another option that requires no drilling of new holes, though it does not have the look of a bigsby if that is what you specifically want. As mentioned above, make sure you get a roller bridge with either.

I think the special II has a flat top, so a B5 or B50 would work fine.

And that's the usual choice on flat topped solid bodys.

example:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/images/8_598_15941.jpg

I'd also recommend a roller bridge. I used a schaller on my lp studio, and a b70 with the long tail.

But a B7 or B70, will work, too, I'm sure. The B700 is black.

By the way, I ordered a roller bridge for epiphones in chrome, when I should have ordered it in gold.

This extra chrome bridge is promised to Capt. Midnight for his Wildkat, but I can get you another if you want one.

deep discount, since I'd be able to cut the shipping down by ordering two, one in gold and one in chrome, if you want it.

not spam.. just a deal for you if you're interested.

I also went with grover locking tuners, but I have to admit I don't know if they were really needed.

Mine stays in tune just fine, intonates great, and I don't notice any loss is sustain either.

I'm really happy with it.

lpbigs.jpg

TWANG

I'd say go for it.

If you go for the B7, B70 or B700 there will be a little bit of the holes from the stop tailpiece that won't be covered by the Bigsby. Twang did a nice job covereing his. He can help you out with that. A little while ago I was looking for a Bigsby and I did come across some B700s that were chrome,so I know that they do come in toher colors than black. I prefer the looks of the B70 over the B700 though.

As far as taking longer to re-string, not really that big of a deal. I saved some of the foam that my B70 was packed in. I bend the ball end of the string about 1/2" from the ball at about a 90 degree angle. I always start with the outside strings because they can be the most challenging with all of the strings on. Take off two outside strings and then begin. Once I hook the ball on the pin on the Bigsby, I put the foam under the bar to keep the string in place. It does come off and re-stringing is easy. It might take a couple of more minutes, but not that much more. STringing it up for the first time can be a challenge, but after you get the first string on and the bar has some tension on it, it really is pretty easy.

I have a B70 on my AL-3100, an LP copy. I put a roller bridge on and I highly recommend them for a Bigsby. I used the Wilkinson locking roller bridge. The reason I chose this one was because of the angle from the top of the saddles to the bottom of the front roller on the B70. Farily steep. Actually, until I changed the bridge the G string was hitting the back of the bridge and causing the B70 to go out of tune and not work a smoothly as it should. Since putting the Wilkinson on, all is well. I have very little problems with the guitar going out of tune.

I sometimes wonder if I had used a B50 instead and been able to have place the Bigsby further back on the guitar if I would have liked the effect more. I don't know. I will say that I have B70s on my Dot and Sherry and I like the fell of them better than the one ony my AL-3100. There is much more room from the bottom of the front roller to the saddles and the strings on these two guitars have a much looser feel.

As far as the Maestro, I have to agree with Ant. I have one on a G-400 and I like the feel of it much more, but I love my Bigsbys too. My Bigsby equipped guitars are getting more play time right now than my G-400 with Maestro. I think the main reason is that I don't get as much sustain out of it as my other guitars.

You may want to check out the vibramate for yours if you aren't sure about drilling holes in your guitar. With a flat surface guitar like yours, the vibramate would be a great solution. It bolts to the bushings from the stop tailpiece and the B5 screws into it. It will only work with a B5, not a B50 or B500.

Thanks guys.

I have had the opportunity to play the larger Bigsby systems, but have not tried the B5 or B50 (which is what I'm leaning towards).

As soon as I get the chance, I will be making my decision and let you know the results I guess!

Archived