E|----1----|

E|----1----|

B|----3----|

G|----0----|

D|----0----|

A|----1----|

E|----1----|

there are a few more, but there isn't a barre variation for it

If you're playing on solo guitar, the tabs above will get you there.

On the other hand, if you're playing with a band, or a bassist, keyboardist or second guitarist, you can let one of them play the F bass note and play any variant of a Bb6 chord you like (or for that matter, a Gm7 --- both contain the same notes). I find that as you add more players or instruments, the whole sounds better if each instrument plays slightly fewer notes --- you get more clarity and less mud.

I'm working on a tune called Allen's Alley and it calls for a Bb6/F chord. Does anyone know how that is played? I'm playing the Bb6 chord with a 6 string root' date=' but am lost on how to make it a /F chord.

Thanks!

[/quote']

Theoretically (Bb, D, F, and G) is the intervalic layout. The Bb to D will establish the Bb Major sound, so you could have just Bb, D, and G (that's the 6th) to give you the sound you need and in this case the 5th is being used as the bass note on the 4th string. One way you can do it is just lay your finger 3rd fret on the first 4 strings:

E|----3----| G, the Major 6th

B|----3----| D, the major 3rd

G|----3----| Bb, the root

D|----3----| F, the 5th being used as the bass note

A|----X----|

E|----X----|

X = do not play these strings

Or you can play it in the 8th position with your 2nd finger playing the F on the 5th string and the root of the chord (Bb) is played with your 3rd finger (look at diagram for the rest of the finger placements):

E|----X----|

B|----8----| G, the Major 6th, with 4th finger

G|----7----| D, the 3rd with, the 1st finger

D|----8----| Bb, the root, with the 3rd finger

A|----8----| F, the 5th (bass note), with the 2nd finger

E|----X----|

X = do not play these strings

There's probably other ways, too, especially if you're just using 4 strings in the chording structure. These are the

easiest, though. So enjoy!

P.S. Sometimes the form you use depends on where you're coming from and where you're going, especially in this

case if the "F" in the bass of the chord is being used as a passing tone in a chord progression, like jazz players

do lots of times.

If you' date=' or anyone needs to know how to make a certain chord, or need to know the name of a chord, there are plenty of websites that can do this for you free and easy. Try this link-----> http://all-guitar-chords.com/chord_name.php

[/quote'] I second that link - has come in handy, way more than once, when the theory and lessons don't come back to me anymore on obscure chords, and all ..... can always "fake it," but I like to play a song/chording as written/concieved...

Great link, Brad....

Here's a tab for it:

E|----4----|

B|----4----|

G|----4----|

D|----4----|

A|----1----|

E|----1----|

This is probably the easiest way to include the Dominant 5th (F) in the chord on a guitar. You pick it up on the 6th string which gives a low 5th harmony to the chord, adding some richness.

If there is a bass player in the mix, I'd think it would be natural to have the bass player add the F note. When I run into this situation, Mr. Bassman gets to play it. Then, it would be natural to add it in an E bar on the 6th fret or an inside chord with the F on the 8th fret, 5th string, added to the inside chord.

Basically, the chord you asked about, as posters have pointed out, is a standard Bb6 chord with an added note, the F or 5th degree of the scale.

Archived