Gibson Brands Forums

New Sheraton or 80's / 90's?

Hi,

Am trying to decide between buying a new Sheraton or a second hand model -

Samick 97

Samick 99

Korea 87

Can anyone offer their experience of the new/older models? Are there any noticeable differences in playability/quality (both subjective! :P )...Is there a good vintage for Sheratons?

The newer model works out more expensive, but I can get to sit down and play it - whereas the secondhand models are cheaper (but could be 'better') - but are online sales (bit of a gamble).

Cheers

:-k

Kinda depends on the price difference.

Samick is the Korean manu, too.. so they'd all be the same.

Mine is a 91.. if you can get a pic of the back of the neck.. there may be some difference over the years in the

construction of the neck..

but they are five pieces, I believe, all through the model runs.. so that's good.

The 87 will probably have a different headstock.. and they had slightly different finishes.. most noticeable on the sunburst.

just get a return policy.. at least a week.. and then calculate the shipping back.. it could be well worth an extra twenty to

not get stuck! And you may save a lot more than that if it works out.

fretwear pics would be great if they can get a close up.

but, mine is a 91 and the frets have held up great.

hope that helps!

TWANG

My local stores haven't even had one in for ages. So I have no clue about the new ones.. except for what I've seen and heard in here.

They seemed awfully nice, still, to me!

and yeah. that black sheri is a treat.

TWANG

Kinda depends on the price difference.

Samick is the Korean manu' date=' too.. so they'd all be the same.

Mine is a 91.. if you can get a pic of the back of the neck.. there may be some difference over the years in the

construction of the neck..

but they are five pieces, I believe, all through the model runs.. so that's good.

The 87 will probably have a different headstock.. and they had slightly different finishes.. most noticeable on the sunburst.

just get a return policy.. at least a week.. and then calculate the shipping back.. it could be well worth an extra twenty to

not get stuck! And you may save a lot more than that if it works out.

fretwear pics would be great if they can get a close up.

but, mine is a 91 and the frets have held up great.

hope that helps!

TWANG[/quote']

Hi

Probably around 100 - 120 GBP difference between new and second hand. New are currenly selling for around 450 GBP - and I'm guessing that Epiphone guitars don't really hold their cash value?

I'm looking on ebay for the 2nd hand ones - so there's a 'no return' policy which kinda puts me off! Never bought a guitar without playing it first!

Cheers

#-o

On the other hand.. I watch ebay quite a bit on and off for sheris.. and they seem to be running around 500.00 used in good shape with hardcase.

so.. depends on the wait, when it comes to bargains.

TWANG

Thanks for posting this question bluesbreaker as I was about to ask the same question as hopefully I will be in the market for a Sheraton later this year. I am also stuck between the buy new and buy secondhand issue. Finding new stock seems to be a problem with the former and finding a good deal and a good instrument is the problem with the latter.

I have been monitoring E-Bay and prices are a bit all over the place. I think my tactic might be to only bid where the guitar is relatively local so I can travel to pick it up, test it out and pay cash. This does at least mean that if the guitar has been inaccurately described I can pull out of the deal risking poor feedback on EBay but not £300+. It's a lot of money to send on the basis of a few photos when there are so many factors involved in a good guitar and a completely wrecked one.

I was under the impression that the current production Sheratons which I thought were made in China were not to the same standard as the Korean (and earlier) models. Have I got this completely wrong? If I have then a new one might well be my preferred option if I can find a good deal.

Cheers

Paul

Hi' date='

Am trying to decide between buying a new Sheraton or a second hand model -

Samick 97

Samick 99

Korea 87

Can anyone offer their experience of the new/older models? Are there any noticeable differences in playability/quality (both subjective! #-o )...Is there a good vintage for Sheratons?

The newer model works out more expensive, but I can get to sit down and play it - whereas the secondhand models are cheaper (but could be 'better') - but are online sales (bit of a gamble).

Cheers

:) [/quote']

My personal opinion is that the best Sheratons were from 1986 to 1994 and were made by Samick. I won't buy Chinese products of any description so any new Epiphones aren't even considered. The gold plating and sometimes the bridges on these '86-'94 models can be problematic but over-all they seem to be, again, in my opinion, some of the better-made Sheratons..though I like the current sunburst pattern more...but to my hands they feel cheap and tinny..Play both and then you decide...

Nelson

Archived