Gibson Brands Forums

1990 Sheraton

Lord Summerisle

I have to say I'm tempted by this, but it does seem to be quite expensive:

http://elderly.com/vintage/names/epiphone-sheraton-ii-(1990)--40U-4523.htm

A guy in Durham, NC can do me a deal on a used Elitist Sheraton in immaculate condition for quite a bit less than this (although we have yet to agree on a final price.)

But the 1990 Sheraton does look beautiful. Do you think the price tag is too high, though?

Prices on "Assembled in USA" Sheri's have gone up, pretty steadily, since their demise. They are, essentially, "Elitist" bodies/necks, with USA parts, pickups, and Nitro finish. And, a slightly different headstock design, like the later Kalamazoo versions. So, if you're not partial to the Nitro paint job, and slighly different headstock, the Elitist could be a great buy. Actually, "Elitists" are great guitars anyway. So, you'd never go wrong, really, getting one of them.

CB

never saw a shearton with mini humbucker before .only the johny lee hooker one.But That one has a stop peice

The original Sheratons had 'New York' mini-hums. The Sheraton 2 changed over to full-sized humbuckers (as well as replacing the frequensator tailpiece with a stopbar.) The original Sheraton also had the option of an Epiphone "E" branded vibrato.

I guess the Elitists and more recent "assembled in the USA" Sheratons are really a crossover - they have the mini-hums of the Sheraton and the stopbar of the Sheraton 2.

EpiphoneSheraton.jpg

1960s Epiphone Sheraton.

never saw a shearton with mini humbucker before .only the johny lee hooker one.But That one has a stop peice

The great Mark Mulcahy has a beauty' date=' made in the USA from 1980 , with a factory installed Bigsby...I hate to think what she's worth. Never seen one like it before...

[img']http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d178/spotondrums/878491788_8c60665f2e_b.jpg[/img]

878441130_e81925e0a3_o.jpg

I have to say I'm tempted by this' date=' but it does seem to be quite expensive:

http://elderly.com/vintage/names/epiphone-sheraton-ii-(1990)--40U-4523.htm

A guy in Durham, NC can do me a deal on a used Elitist Sheraton in immaculate condition for quite a bit less than this (although we have yet to agree on a final price.)

But the 1990 Sheraton does look beautiful. Do you think the price tag is too high, though?

I'm going to call Stan at Elderly's (have to be tomorrow-too late today) because that guitar has been advertised mistakenly...-It's not from 1990 more like 1996 or later...probably much later but the refurb label with that serial number is confusing things-it has a Gibson-like format but no Sheratons were made in 1990 that were "assembled in the USA" and the Sheratons of 1993/1994 (the last MADE in the USA models) had the serial number and "Made In The USA" stamped into the headstock. Looks like a J.L. Hooker refurbish from much later (2000's) a bit over-priced...more like $850-$1000 for a refurb Japanese-made (Terada) Sheraton.

Nelson

The original Sheratons had 'New York' mini-hums. The Sheraton 2 changed over to full-sized humbuckers (as well as replacing the frequensator tailpiece with a stopbar.) The original Sheraton also had the option of an Epiphone "E" branded vibrato.

I guess the Elitists and more recent "assembled in the USA" Sheratons are really a crossover - they have the mini-hums of the Sheraton and the stopbar of the Sheraton 2.

EpiphoneSheraton.jpg

1960s Epiphone Sheraton.

No, the original 1958 Sheratons had New York single coil pickups which were followed by "PAF Mini Humbuckers" in 1961.. and the actual USA-made Sheratons NEVER were offered with a stop tail piece (Trem unit (Bigsby and others) or a Frequensator... "New York" mini humbuckers exist only in the vapid minds of the Epiphone marketing staff...the mini humbuckers were never called "New York" anything until about six or seven years ago when Epiphone marketing thought people might confuse them for being made in the USA and it does sound more impressive than saying "generic, USA-made pickups resembling original Gibson-made mini humbuckers" or "generic, Asian-made pickups resembling original Gibson-made mini humbuckers"...your photo is of a 1958-1962 Sheraton....with that headstock and those pickups it was made after about 1961 so it's either a 1961 or 1962...and all Sheraton IIs are either Korean or Chinese-made except for the Japanese-made-J.L. Hookers that were offered with a stop tail piece .....there was never a Gibson-era (1957-1970) Sheraton II.

Nelson

Archived