Gibson Brands Forums

Shine off...

Canine

This is probably one of the questions that many ask around here, I don't know, but I thought I'd ask again.

I love my Epis, they do sound real good, but the finish is way too shiny and that I guess is doing no justice to the actual character of the guitar. I'd like to remove some of the shine without destroying the guitar or scratching the top beyond belief.

I've seen many methods involving power sanders and other power tools, but I'm terrified of actually applying an orbital sander to the guitar. Is there any other method involving, say, hand tools, that will take some of the shine off without destroying the actual finish?

This is probably one of the questions that many ask around here' date=' I don't know, but I thought I'd ask again.

I love my Epis, they do sound real good, but the finish is way too shiny and that I guess is doing no justice to the actual character of the guitar. I'd like to remove some of the shine without destroying the guitar or scratching the top beyond belief.

I've seen many methods involving power sanders and other power tools, but I'm terrified of actually applying an orbital sander to the guitar. Is there any other method involving, say, hand tools, that will take some of the shine off without destroying the actual finish?

[/quote']

Eek! I'm not sure what the finish is; I assumed that the newer finishes were polyurethane, but others have said that it is another poly (such as polyethylene I think). You can put urethane on urethane, and there are spray cans of satin urethane. I would do that before I would attempt scratching something off!

I've used Dupont or MeGuire's "Rubbing compound," to dull the finish down. It can take just the "edge" off

the shine enough, to look somewhat "aged." If you go further, it gets more satin like. But, not too far...unless

you want "relic!" LOL!

If you want to reshine it up, all you have to do is add some MeGuire's swirl remover, or some other fine auto polish, buff it up, and you're back in business.

DO NOT use "power tools!!" That's Way to heavy handed, for what you want to do. If, however, you are really great with power tools, you can use a low power "buffer," to bring back the shine, later...if need. But NOT for dulling the finish.

CB

Well CB I see you've cut and polished some vehicles, nothing but the best Mcquiars........I wouldn't want to go much more than a medium cut, but absolutely no power power tools you can kiss that axe good buy......you could get the same results with 1500 or 2000 wet sand paper to scuff it up withou breaking thru and then polish it back if you didn't like it ........but it will come back shinier than when he started..........this is the process for guitars I have sprayed at home and not in the down draft booth at my shop, this is the method spray painters use to cut and polish the dirt out of the paint work they've done..........

But why would you want to, in most cases unless you've had some wood finishing or spray painting experience, most people just mess up a nice guitar....=D>

Alright, I just want to take some of that shine off, it's way, way to shiny, looks like some plastic top instead of wood! That's the one issue I have with my Epi, other than that it's just perfect!

I really don't understand why they go so heavy on the poly gun, I think we'd all prefer a more delicate finish, but I may be wrong.

In any case, CB, could you give some more details on the rubbing compound method? Just want to take some of the shine off without scratching the thing real bad, and of course, without destroying the guitar! lol

Yeah, not wanting to actually invest in machines and stuff, I'm saving for my next guitar and a digital camera.... Found a Kodak ES for 70 bucks! lol

Just confused as to how that rubbing compound thing works. What kind of pads should I use? Let it dry to a "haze" but for how long? Just need some info on how to do it "the right way".

my advice is don't do it...........but if your going to go to your local autobody shop, bring the painter a coffee and tell him what you want to do..........use a light or medium cutting compound put a lil bit on and don't let if dry, gently polish it off, repeat until your satisfied...........don't let it dry and go hazy!!!

Well, I did lots of research about this and most methods involved some kind of sanding and power tools. The pictures showcasing the results looked great and the instructions fairly simple.

I still remember how simple the refinishing process was and how I struggled with that Strat copy of mine just trying to get the finish off. So no, I didn't try any of those methods at all.

I used a mild rubbing compound, several coats, working it really well into the finish and then used a nice, new buffing pad to take it off after letting it dry completely.

The results were just what I wanted. Some of the shine came off and that 'laminated' look I hated so much is gone for good. It looks great now, and no scratches or horrible swirl marks.

It was an excellent outcome, one I just love, but I was fairly afraid of ruining the instrument for good. It didn't happen, it looks way better now, but there was no way in hell I was going to use an orbital sander!

One of the articles suggested to use a damn scotch brite pad directly on the finish! YEAH RIGHT!

Like all beginners to refinishing guitars, I made the mistake of sanding the first time out, got wise after that and use aircraft stripper not automotive stripper, to strip the next electric project and where gloves the **** bites........a quarter of the time not to mention mess from the dust:-"

Well' date=' I did lots of research about this and most methods involved some kind of sanding and power tools. The pictures showcasing the results looked great and the instructions fairly simple.

I still remember how simple the refinishing process was and how I struggled with that Strat copy of mine just trying to get the finish off. So no, I didn't try any of those methods at all.

I used a mild rubbing compound, several coats, working it really well into the finish and then used a nice, new buffing pad to take it off after letting it dry completely.

The results were just what I wanted. Some of the shine came off and that 'laminated' look I hated so much is gone for good. It looks great now, and no scratches or horrible swirl marks.

It was an excellent outcome, one I just love, but I was fairly afraid of ruining the instrument for good. It didn't happen, it looks way better now, but there was no way in hell I was going to use an orbital sander!

One of the articles suggested to use a damn scotch brite pad directly on the finish! YEAH RIGHT!

[/quote']

congrats. details and pics if you would!

what rubbing compound did you use? brand/type/whatever.

TWANG

Archived