Gibson Brands Forums

is "sag" desirable in reverb?

i have an old organ that i want to re-tube (it has all of the original tubes and i don't want to wait for them to go bad...)

and i was wondering if sag was a desirable thing in reverb or not... the "main" rectifier i will definitely replace with a tube, but i was considering going for a solid state rectifier in my reverb unit...

Yes generally..., but it may depend on what you want to hear.

Enlightenment on the tonal properties of sag as found in someone else's quote:

"...the reverb can sag a bit and produce a very natural, and softer response when driven hard – a benefit to blues players in particular."

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

If you have an old, but functional tube that sounds dull and anemic and smeared, that would be a really good tube for the reverb tank driver circuit, since those are exactly the right properties that make for better spring reverb tone quality. And use the cheesiest crappiest cables to the tank and back that you can find! You need the smearing, or else it's just your-tone-on-spring.

Gil...

Please be CAREFUL here..........I thought sagging coils were good

until they arc'd out .........

the result? lots of "roar".....lots of SMOKE(from winding varnish)

a ruined 105w tube head, ruined lead cable,melted insulation OFF much of

the wiring in my old Les Paul(Gibson) ruined 3 way switch, ruined volume pot.

AND gave me a nasty enough jolt, that i'd have likely died if i'd been grounded.

Please have the springs looked at/replaced if necessary.

leave the tube rect .You want as much of that tube Mojo as possible in an Organ

ok thanks. actually' date=' i wanted to fully re tube the organ so i don't wear out the old tubes... they still work, but with the amount i play, they'll be dead within the year. (and organs are easier on tubes than guitar amps... what does that say about how much i play organ? ;'] )

If you have an old' date=' but functional tube that sounds dull and anemic and smeared, that would be a really good tube for the reverb tank driver circuit, since those are exactly the right properties that make for better spring reverb tone quality. And use the cheesiest crappiest cables to the tank and back that you can find! You need the smearing, or else it's just your-tone-on-spring.

Gil...[/quote']

i don't, but that's what ebay's for, right?

Archived