Gibson Brands Forums

janesko guitar art.. what's your view?

TWANG

I keep a Nagle print hanging on my wall, so I've admired illustrators' works for a long time. However, the medium is not the message to me. I would be more likely to buy a print, or a guitar -- but not a combination of them that would make me feel like I was trying to play the Mona Lisa.

All the while wondering why my new guitar budget had gone away. I need to keep my pleasures separate. I like driving very fast. I like sex. I don't like driving during fast sex.

I think they're great. Kind of a modern re-working of the art you see on the old world war two American bomber and fighter nosecones. I'm glad they are created by a woman who points out persuasively that they celebrate female beauty and aren't intended to be some kind of sexist rock and roll statement.

There's something quite female in a lot of guitar designs, soft lines and rolling swells that feel good under your hand. Did I mention that she's a very attractive woman herself?

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/beautiful-bodies-pin-up/

Nice!!

I don't know about the pieces being completely across the guitars. There's a Strat I've been eyeballing at the guitar shop near here I go to that has a fantastic pinup custom painted onto the back of the guitar. Honestly, I am always tempted to pick it up just because of the art. I don't like the shape/feel of the Strat in general, so my opinion of the guitar is coloured by the art.

I'm also a die-hard pinup fan. I tend to collect books and prints, so having a guitar with a nice pinup would be awesome. Just not as big as these are.

They're way too exclusive for me.

I was wondering in general about the idea of a complete top being done.

and also about the style of the art.

I was tempted by Sweetwaters Peaveys which you could send in your choice of picture for.

I rather liked the complete idea.. smaller things seem to suffer by the size being to large to appreciate much from the audience.

Not so with one of those.

TWANG

Not to my taste. As an artist myself, I think guitars are fully capable as standing as works of art on their own without additional decoration. I realize that may be just me, but a good design doesn't need embellishment.

All that aside, the guy has some airbrushing chops.

Meh. The medium and canvas dont really mesh IMO. The portrait idea is cool for a one-off, but a whole series kind of takes away from the idea. Artistically, the airbrushed portraits are very nice and well done. I jus dont like them on a guitars so much.

The deco stuff, on the other hand, is pretty bad. Too many colors. Too many shapes. Just too abstract all together. If this was 1983, they would be HOT! But hey, I'm a minimalist. I like some abstract, but it has to have the right composition and compliment its environment.

Not to my taste. As an artist myself' date=' I think guitars are fully capable as standing as works of art on their own without additional decoration. I realize that may be just me, [b']but a good design doesn't need embellishment.[/b]

All that aside, the guy has some airbrushing chops.

Well said. A little highlighting to enhance the design would be more appropriate, I think.

Archived