Gibson Brands Forums

epi les paul mirror pickguard

TWANG

knocked this out this morning for a guy just to see how it would look.

not quite finished yet, around the pups, etc.. early pic to see how he'd like it.

thought I'd post it and let everyone get an idea of it.

I noticed that I could see me taking the pic in the first one..

so I set blondy up to the side for the second shot.

TWANG

emetry1.jpg

emetry2.jpg

Thanks IA. I didn't know if it would look good or not.. but I like it, too.

I had my lp guard edges blacked out.. I thought the white binding just looked wrong without binding on the guitar.

but this works, I think. I may build one for me!

I like it enough that I'm gonna give a shot to making pup rings out of mirror material next.

and maybe a switch ring--but I think the material will be too thick for that.. got a scrap piece though so what the heck!

TWANG

Man, Twang, that looks really really cool !!!! Hmmmmm :D ...... wonderin' how one o' them might look on my honeyburst (although I've really fallen in love with her more now that she's ringless and guardless.....go figure....). Great work, man....

What kind of material are you using to make them? I really like the idea of making pickup rings out of the same material. You could do the same thing for the pickup selector switch and have a whole mirror themed guitar! That would be great.

you can order them off many various websites' date=' such as this one: here

and very nice, pickguard, but it will be a nightmare since it WILL attract all things filthy. Having a ENTIRE guitar made out mirrors i should know, its a nightmare to get out sometimes. One time i hadent polished it in about a month and it was completely smudged, then when i came to cleaning it it took me around an hour to get every single little speck of filth off it.

still its worth it

Yeah it's gonna show fingerprints when you're using it.

But it's cool still!

Like those pianos that have mirrors next to the keyboards.

I've got it on a stand in the living room and I can't quit looking at it.

It's just clear pickguard material, with mirror silver on the back.

Even if it starts to wear eventually, pick scratches, I think it will still look great.

I'm cutting out a pickup ring tomorrow.. I'll do the neck first, since the material is just right for that height.

And then I'll experiment with it a bit on the sides. black one edge, see how that looks.

make an edge chrome painted and see how that looks. try bevelling an edge, too.

Until I see what looks best.

I think for the taller ring, I can make an outside mirror base.. so it reflects towar the sides. then mount a mirror ring on top..with a blacked out edge.. or maybe I'll try something else. I dunno yet!

thanks for the comments. Sure looks cool to me, too!

TWANG

truss rod cover.. sheesh. I should have tried this instead of the aluminum.

Archived