Gibson Brands Forums

Complete upgrade of Epi G-400.

1999nbmZ1281734025

Just thought I would post up some pics of my newest project.

Picked up these PUPs from a member on one of the other forums. These are the factory Prophecy PUPs, with the gold pole pieces, and gold logos. I tried these on a Prophecy, but never liked the two control knob layout. This is basically my poor-mans Prophecy. I have also added a full Jimmy Page switching set up, which gives me more options than the Prophecy. I've learned to love this set up after installing another one into my Les Paul.

CIMG3880.jpg

So I started by stripping the G-400 all of the way down.

CIMG3853.jpg

CIMG3847.jpg

One thing I found out while taking the G-400 apart, was that the bridge bushings are pressed into the body through the pick guard. Looks just fine, but makes it quite a project just to remove the pick guard. I solved this by opening up the holes in the pick guard by about an 1/8th of an inch. Here is a pic of the PG with the enlarged holes.

CIMG3893.jpg

Here is a pic of the headstock after the 18:1 Grovers were installed, as well as the gold(ish) TRC screws. I have a better set of screws to use, but they need to be shortened by a small amount first.

CIMG3889.jpg

Here is a pic with most of the upgrade completed. I decided to steal the factory bridge off of my new Wildkat, and replace the Wildkat bridge with a full roller, hoping to help it stay in tune while using the Bigsby. I am still looking for humbucker covers with the dual row adjustment screw holes, and I just located gold pickup height screws. I may also switch to gold on black bell knobs, instead of these gold on gold.

CIMG3901.jpg

Also, here is a pic of the rear cavity, showing the full Jimmy Page wiring and pots. Just a heads up, there is BARELY enough room to fit the push-pull pots. I had to use one washer by itself, without the nut on the back of the guitar. When I used the lock nut on the back, the rear cover was getting flexed due to the pots being too tall.

CIMG3905.jpg

Any questions, go ahead and post them up! Willing to help out anybody if I can.

Generally I don't like the gold finish on ANY guitar (It just doesn't look right to my eyes) but the Gold/Cherry you have going really does look magnificent.

Out of curiosity, did you have to make any alterations to the body (sanding/shaving/etc) to get the pots in place, or did they manage to stick with the standard body work?

The pots dropped right in, no issues there. I've used CTS brand pots before, and they do require opening up the holes a bit. The only thing I had to open up were the tuner holes, and the hole for the toggle switch.

Everybody keeps saying the stock Grover tuners are the same as what you buy off the shelf, but this is the second set I have had to open up the holes for. The new tuners fit through, but the holes for the mounting screws didn't line up perfectly.

Nothing a dremel and a sanding wheel can't fix...

Excellent... really looks great.. that jimmy page wiring is nice!

you made with nice advice on details, too.. +1!

Sweet!

are those gold pickguard screws or do they just look chrome in the pic?

you can buff those frets out if you don't use too much pressure. with a dremel and some rubbing compound or swirl and haze remover.

makes for nice quiet bends.

Really good post!

TWANG

Twang

The pickguard screws are gold, never noticed how silver they look in the pics. The only chrome left on the guitar, is the PUP height adjustment screws, and of course the frets...

I am having the new PUP covers drilled out today at a machine shop, and I still have to fill the stock strap button holes. For some reason, the screws on the G-400 are larger diameter compared to the other Epis I own.

So, four screw, PUP covers, and strap locks, and I'm done...

=D>

Thanks for the compliments guys!

very nice job.

where did you get the gold toggle switch? and will it work for a 3 pick-up setup.

i may have a opt to snag a g400 custom body and neck. started looking for stuff to restore back to orginal look (the ebony with gold hardware and pickups) but, can not find a right angle 3 way switch in gold.

where did you get the gold toggle switch?

Here are two places you can them:

Guitar Parts Resource

Warmoth

and will it work for a 3 pick-up setup.

Depends on the set-up. A three-way toggle can work if each PU has it's own volume control. Otherwise, you'd need a 5-way selector (ala a Strat.). Each setup has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Matt

Thanks Rally!!!!! But' date=' i am looking for a right angle gold to fit in a sg custom.

I only see chrome. 1999 show a rtangle gold. Need to know where he got it. [/quote']

Just so you know, the Epi G-400 doesn't come with the right angle switch. I'm using a short, straight switch. I'm not sure if there is even room for it, thought about switching styles, but in the end, I just chose to swap with what I already had...

Thanks for all of the compliments guys!

Just thought I would post some updated pics.

Got the PUP covers back and installed, as well as getting the holes filled so the strap locks could be mounted. I also got rid of the gold/gold reflectors for the more traditional looking gold/black.

Got her strung up, and gave her a test run.. Wow, those Dirty Fingers sure have a growl to them!

CIMG3917.jpg

CIMG3924.jpg

That looks really sharp. The only thing I might change are the knobs. With all that gold I would go for gold centers on the knobs, but that is really minor. I like it. I have always like the bat wing pick guards on G-400s/SGs.

Any particular reason you put the gold covers on the dirty fingers instead of leaving it like it was? It looks good both ways. Nice job.

That looks really sharp. The only thing I might change are the knobs. With all that gold I would go for gold centers on the knobs' date=' but that is really minor. I like it. I have always like the bat wing pick guards on G-400s/SGs.

Any particular reason you put the gold covers on the dirty fingers instead of leaving it like it was? It looks good both ways. Nice job. [/quote']

Hey JC, thanks for the compliments.

They are gold reflectors on the knobs, it just doesn't show very well in pics. As far as the covers, I always planned on putting covers on the PUPs. I love the way the gold looks against the black pick guard. And oddly enough, without the covers, I kept seeing the Epi SG special or G-310.

What can I say?

I love gold!!!

untitled.jpg

Nice guitar. Thanks for the pictures too.

When you replaced the tuners, did the old ones have 2 screws each? If so, are there any holes that are still exposed on the back of the headstock? I want to replace my 2-screw tuners I have but I will end up having one of the holes exposed if I go with a 1-screw Grover type tuner. I just don't know what to do to cover up the remaining hole(s).

Nice guitar. Thanks for the pictures too.

When you replaced the tuners' date=' did the old ones have 2 screws each? If so, are there any holes that are still exposed on the back of the headstock? I want to replace my 2-screw tuners I have but I will end up having one of the holes exposed if I go with a 1-screw Grover type tuner. I just don't know what to do to cover up the remaining hole(s).[/quote']

Nope, my guitar came equipped with the off-shore Grover tuners. The new ones look identical, but the peg head to screw dimensions are a little wider than the Grovers purchased off the shelf.

Check stewmac.com for your tuner needs. They are great about supplying the measurements for the holes needed, and peg head diameter. I think Kluson (sp?) tuners are going to be what you want, but don't quote me...

i agree on the knob change. it looks alot better. same knobs on the ebony g400 custom with 3 pups. At first all the gold blinded me. :-s . but, in a minute i was really digging the gold covers. I like covered humbkers, but, i will leave the lp prophecy along. But, in case i have a gold attach where did you get the covers.

VERY NICE JOB, IT REALLY IS A ONE OF A KIND!!!!!!=D>

Archived