Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Les Paul standard better than the Gibson LP studio!

BlueLesPaul2006

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you obviously have not played this studio' date=' heavy as hell (you did state you like heavy LPs). P-90s, only way to go with a Gibson Studio. This one will blow the rear out of your epi that makes good sound but cost cheap.

[img']http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg38/Schtang/Gem_web.jpg[/img]

What does that one say on the truss rod cover? I vaguely remember seeing those in Musician's Friend when they were out... didn't they all have wierd finish names like ruby, saphire, emerald, and so on? It's probably a great guitar, but IMO the decal on the guard looks... off. I'm not a fan of solid colors, either, as opposed to a nice woodgrain top. I used to drool over the Les Paul Smartwood series, back in the day... those were pretty guitars.

Nelson' date=' I am not going to get into a pissing match with you, [/quote']

Marcelo then don't.....

You don't have to justify your guitar to anyone. If you think your Epi is better than a Gibson, then only that matters. And I'll bet it is probably better than some Gibby's out there.... I've played and own a few Epi's and they play outstanding, even the Chinese made Epi's.

However, what you are doing now by calling Gibson guitars "crap" is demonstrating the same behavior as certain members who call Epiphone "junk." Just rise above it, you don't have to stoop to that level.

I did not call Gibson guitars "crap" and I don't hate Gibson, I actually love their products and I am even shopping for a Gibson guitar right now. What I don't like is the company's arrogant attitude of pricing everything sky-high and still not treating certain quality issues as "important". It seems like the customer just ovelooks their quality issues and keeps on paying the climbing high prices and shrugs his shoulder as "that's the way it is". In just about every other product market out there, the customer is never this forgiving. It shows how strong Gibson brand loyalty really is, but if it is abused, the customers will look to go elsewhere.

I also wanted to make people aware that, for the most part, it does not matter if something is built in China or not, just pay close attention to the specs to see you are getting exactly what you want and buy from reputable channels. If you want China to build you a great product, they will, if you just ask them to do so.

How do you explain the Gibson crap I see at the local music store? .

You did refer to it as "crap" and I take issue with that.

Honestly Marcelo I've had no quality issues with any of my Gibson guitars, and to my knowledge I have yet to notice a quality issue that would throw up a red flag.

But I agree that with any brand new instrument, it should scrutinized. And if you don't know what to look for, take it to a knowledgeable tech that can help you with evaluating the quality, regardless of the price.

I have friends in other towns that went to a the music store and found some bad Gibsons on display too. Could it be that their "B" grade items or rejected stock are the ones being placed as display items in stores?

What can make things worse is that a lot of these guitar salesmen working there are on commision, so you have to be so careful.

I have friends in other towns that went to a the music store and found some bad Gibsons on display too. Could it be that their "B" grade items or rejected stock are the ones being placed as display items in stores?

What can make things worse is that a lot of these guitar salesmen working there are on commission' date=' so you have to be so careful.[/quote']

Well I think that has nothing to do with Gibson..... If a music store wants to display Gibson B stock, then so be it. I've seen Epi B-stocks on the walls of SamAsh and it never bothered me.

If the top guitar in my "arsenal" was a Korean Epiphone and I referred to a bunch of Chinese kit guitars as "custom strats and teles" I don't even think I'd open my mouth..from your postings you wouldn't know a good guitar if it bite you in the bee-hind and coming in here all nicey because you hoped to unload your All-Parts crap was pretty funny too...did you ever find the truss rod in that Cort? I about died when I saw "you" giving truss rod advice...you' date=' see I've known you since the days when you were laughed out of rec.guitar and alt.guitar with your nonsensical drivel...and now you're a dealer...that's hilarious too but we aren't supposed to talk about that..I come here to discuss Epiphone which encompasses a lot of guitars beside that cheap Chinese crap...now, don't you have to get out in your garage and make a pick guard or something?

Mr.Nelson[/quote']

whoa there nellie.

the top guitar in my arsenal..

first off.. weapons of war, instruments of peace. so.. no arsenal. I'm not trying to blow anyone up.

and just because you use the phrase korean epiphone doesn't mean the rest of us read that as

'crappy' or second rate.

It's not.

head to toe refurbished and upgraded and plays like a dream and sounds like one.

furthermore, it's my personal favorite, for personal reasons.. my wife bought me that guitar, when I was sick,

unemployed, we had a baby, and she was working two jobs and going to school.

you got nothing that compares to that guitar, pal. and never will.

also.. who referred to chinese kit guitars as custom? but by the way, why shouldn't they be?

first off.. they aren't 'kit' guitars to start with.

secondly, they aren't all chinese,either.

thirdly, you seem to be intimating that I buy second rate stuff.

so let's get this straight.

that brazilian mahogany strat, endangered species by the way.. rare as hell.. *legal though* is one fine piece of wood.

my imports and my usa purchased bodys and necks are on a par with anything made, period.

solid rock maple is just that. so is rosewood. so is solid ash. so is solid alder and center seamed alder --all on a par with top quality instruments.

as far as the hardware goes, it's also at that level.

and as far as the workmanship is concerned I have NEVER had a guitar returned in three years. Not ONE disatisfied

customer.

I'm not going to rehash your lies about anything that happened ten years ago.

And you know very well and good nothing like that would be settled in here. You just spew it out, fubar style, in order to make yourself look like big snot.

I'm not falling for that. And it' pretty obvious why you go away from the point, every time, into insults on a personal level with whomever you're talking to.

it's because you're a jerk, who talks out his rear end and is afraid of any point by point comparison done with objectivity.

I feel sorry for you, bub.

My 'garage' is where I do some of my work.

It's true that my workshop is small. there's simply not enough room in it for all the tools I have.

lathes are not small. planers are not small. drill presss are not small. table saws, reciprocal saws,

band saws. they all take more room than a small shop owner like me has.

I suppose though, this is in perfect keeping with your general attitude about the world.

I'm supposed to be shamed for not being a corporation.

I'm supposed to think small business owners are the scum of the earth. The dregs.

You sir, are immature, rude, and afraid to discuss this subject in a reasonable and fair way.

You don't come here to discuss anything. You come here to put down epiphone, put down their owners, and

you think somehow this elevates you.

again, I feel sorry for you.

Why didn't you mention my unworthy taylor?

Why didn't you mention the fact that my customers are happy and satisfied with what they get?

Why do you lie about what I do, how I do it, and what the actual guitars are?

We know why you lie.

Why don't you?

TWANG

I just want to know this:

where are the posts by nelson where he actually helps anyone?

where are the posts by nelson where he actually informs anyone?

where are the posts by nelson in which he shows the meagerest of kindness or consideration to anyone?

where are the posts by nelson in which he discusses epiphones with anything but disdain and disrespect?

where are the posts by nelson in which he stays on point, without insult and rudeness with anyone who dares have

a different opinion than his?

where is there any thread that nelson is connected with that doesn't exhibit a nazi attitude toward anyone eventually?

where is there any discussion he engages in that doesn't turn into a discussion about how right he is, how wonderfully

sane and smart while everyone else is at his feet?

all of which brings us to the key question:

what is the similarity between nelson view of himself, and gibson?

the answer is that nelson believes that gibson and he are one.. the pinnacle of all known to man.. the god of gods..

perfection personified. never to be beaten.

and if his dear gibson isn't all he wants it to be, then neither is he.. and he can't stand that idea, for it would shatter his world

to think that anything at all could be at all different than how he sees it.

bow to lord nelson gents. because it's the only act he'll ever recognize.

TWANG

I just want to know this:

where are the posts by nelson where he actually helps anyone?

where are the posts by nelson where he actually informs anyone?

where are the posts by nelson in which he shows the meagerest of kindness or consideration to anyone?

where are the posts by nelson in which he discusses epiphones with anything but disdain and disrespect?

where are the posts by nelson in which he stays on point' date=' without insult and rudeness with anyone who dares have

a different opinion than his?

where is there any thread that nelson is connected with that doesn't exhibit a nazi attitude toward anyone eventually?

where is there any discussion he engages in that doesn't turn into a discussion about how right he is, how wonderfully

sane and smart while everyone else is at his feet?

all of which brings us to the key question:

what is the similarity between nelson view of himself, and gibson?

the answer is that nelson believes that gibson and he are one.. the pinnacle of all known to man.. the god of gods..

perfection personified. never to be beaten.

and if his dear gibson isn't all he wants it to be, then neither is he.. and he can't stand that idea, for it would shatter his world

to think that anything at all could be at all different than how he sees it.

bow to lord nelson gents. because it's the only act he'll ever recognize.

TWANG[/quote']

ignoring him has worked great for me.

What does that one say on the truss rod cover? I vaguely remember seeing those in Musician's Friend when they were out... didn't they all have wierd finish names like ruby' date=' saphire, emerald, and so on? It's probably a great guitar, but IMO the decal on the guard looks... off. I'm not a fan of solid colors, either, as opposed to a nice woodgrain top. I used to drool over the Les Paul Smartwood series, back in the day... those were pretty guitars.[/quote']

These were the Studio "Gem Series." Topaz was a sunburst, but I think the rest were solid.

I really wanted one of these when they were new, but I was in grad school at the time so there was no way. Still wouldn't mind having one some day.

Blank as he has nothing valid to say

TWANG

Twang, I'm not going to argue with you either because I know a lot more about you than you do about me...I've watched you BS your way through the newsgroups and every where else leaving a trail of laughter behind you. You've set up shop in your garage and got a catalog from All-Parts and you're now a dealer and repair guy...but how many more people will complain when you screw up as apparently you've already done more than once here..and no, a 310 Taylor...or Taylor of any kind isn't going to impress me or is your Korean Sheraton or your Saga kit guitars..you live on the cheap and have said so for the twelve years that I've known about you...I don't know your financial conditions but judging by what I've read in your posts you aren't real affluent and that in itself isn't important but because you can't afford something isn't a reason to dismiss it and build up crap that you do own. Why do you lie to yourself? I haven't ever lied..that's the problem. I don't lie but poseurs and wannabes like you MUST lie and tell themselves what wonderful things they have and that if someone else has better then it's diminished by you...Forget about it Patrick, your entire premise is based upon making what you have with limited resources valid...nothing more...now, go make a pickguard or go trash picking or something more constructive than spewing your mindless self-validation...oh, and I'm not going to get in trouble for posting your personal information but anyone who cares (as if anyone does) can google " truss rod Twang" scroll down to where Twang admits what I've known all along- "Cort SP3 has a truss rod..Twang Full Of..".. and read all about it themselves...you deleted the good parts where you made a complete fool of yourself and have only left the contrite posts but I was there for all the fun...you work on my guitars? I'd rather have Stevie Wonder do it while completely intoxicated...

If it's available on Google or DejaNews it isn't personal information...

Goodness me, I found your original post:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.guitar.amps/browse_thread/thread/64f583901d948a08/744b2d04e10f579f#744b2d04e10f579f

Oh and here's Twang a bit later feeling a bit foolish

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.makers/browse_thread/thread/32230249cfd21447/a33a87f1d6492da7#a33a87f1d6492da7

Now, what did I lie about?

Mr.Nelson

and going back to films...you seem to appreciate some of the same films as I do...have you ever seen Jean Cocteau's 1946 "Beauty And The Beast"?.

Mr.Nelson

It's a fav of mine. The Criterion Collection (Restored Edition) DVD is great. Have you ever seen Corridor of Mirrors (1948), it's been compared in the same vein as Beauty.

It's a fav of mine. The Criterion Collection (Restored Edition) DVD is great. Have you ever seen Corridor of Mirrors (1948)' date=' it's been compared in the same vein as Beauty.[/quote']

Yes, I have seen "Corridor Of Mirrors" but it's been at least twenty years .and what's the one.. the title escapes me...kind of similar in atmosphere.. where the guy's late wife's portrait is at the top of the stairs and the new wife arrives and then the late wife starts appearing to the new wife trying to warn her that her death "was no boating accident!!!"??..I probably should look up that "Band the B" DVD...as strange as it sounds, my ex and I still exchange Christmas gifts and she got me a DVD this year and I forgot all about her ..doh!..she said not to worry about it but we have remained close friends and I think it hurt her feelings...and we can't go 'round hurting our ex-wives feelings now can we?

Mr.Nelson

Yes' date=' I have seen "Corridor Of Mirrors" but it's been at least twenty years .and what's the one.. the title escapes me...kind of similar in atmosphere.. where the guy's late wife's portrait is at the top of the stairs and the new wife arrives and then the late wife starts appearing to the new wife trying to warn her that her death "was no boating accident!!!"??.

Mr.Nelson[/quote']I haven't seen it in a long time, but I'm thinking perhaps Rebecca?

I just went through this. First of all, I really like Epiphones - I have a Dot that I swear is better than any Gibson 335 I've ever played. I had to play a lot of Dots to find this one, and it just sounds great and plays beautifully.

So when I wanted to get a Les Paul (love the sound) I figured I'd just go to a store and play a bunch of Epi Les Pauls until I found one I really liked. The store I went to was a local independent place, but they are real pros - they have catered to Lenny Kravitz, Leslie West, Yes, - you get the idea. They, by the way, like the Epi's and do not look down on them in any way.

So I discovered a few things:

1. There was a great deal of variability in the playability, quality, weight (?!), and intonation between the epi's, and price didn't seem to be a factor. Some I really didn't care for, while an LP studio and LP custom stood out as the best. Don't get me wrong - they were fine pro guitars. None seemed as good of a guitar as my Dot.

2. I played and ultimately bought a black Gibson LP Studio. Wow, this thing just sang and did it for me in a way that inspired me to play better and reach in new directions. Not better than my Dot, but different. Just what I was looking for. I changed out the trim pieces for cream, so now it looks like a Black Standard without the binding. But it plays and "sings" beautifully. The neck is wider than the epi's, so some things are tough to play (e.g. fast runs, but I have my Ibanez Saber for that) but the wide neck is great for chunky power chords and there is nice room for my fingers for complex jazz voicings.

Just my experience.

P.S. I also played some PRS models (the pricey ones - 2-3K+) and I liked the 2 epi LP's mentioned above better.

Archived