Gibson Brands Forums

Recording interface type and software

BSAKing

Not sure where to put this - here or in the amp section or....

I (of course) have EPI's here and have tried a few cuts using my sound card on the PC with some software - I think it was Guitar Tracks Pro.

The BIL has a Toneport UX2 and uses it with Sonar and he loves it, but I see an absolute plethora of options from a hardware and software perspective so I'm really confused.[-(

I did scoot around the web, but did not see and reviews or comparison of products so I was wondering what folks here use? If anyone has a couple of good links to info on reviews of the products/options that's kewl and appreciated.

To clarify - I am just a home plunker, a one man band sort of type so do not need multiple inputs and outputs or anything horribly elaborate or complicated I guess. It seems to me the two basic options are: An interface of some type with DACs in them - some have modelling firmware built into them (like a Behringer V-amp) or some are just an interface (with varying degree of bells and whistles) and have add on software (Like the line 6 Studio UX2).

Trying to keep this not too far off topic[-x , I have a Joe Pass, several Sheri's, an SST (plus some F*nders and a Gr*tsch) that I use - in case the pup type may come into play with some of the options, but I suspect they would all be fairly universal.

TIA for any recommendations/suggestions - BSA

I have been very pleased with M Audio external soundcard: try the Fast Track USB - about $80-100

It comes bundled with software which I wasn't so keen on. I use Acid Music Studio for its loops, simplicity, etc.

But some people like the M Audio recording software or other comparable recording software.

You can get good amp modeling software for around $80-100.

Look into Native Instruments Guitar Rig 3.0; they offer a cheaper version that has less amp models, but the sound is great.

Also look into Peavery Revalver MK III; you can also get a cheaper version that has fewer amp models.

You can certainly go less or more in price or quality, but these are the tools I use.

Lots of people love the Line 6 stuff, but I think that Peavey, or the newer Overloud software has it beat.

Just google around for these products and you can get a sense of what is happening.

If you have a soundcard, then download the demos and experiment. A lot of these sites have demos you can download to try the software first. Hope this helps.

This is about as low budget as you can get (well, apart from the guitar, which is actually pretty nice but still relatively cheap).

A (stock) 2007 Epiphone G-400 (I paid $299 in a Musician's Friend sale)

straight into a Toneport UX1 ($70 at Guitar Center)

recorded using Audacity (it's free!)

http://www.upload-mp3.com/files/268228_qygci/blues.mp3

It's only 1.35mins of generic blues noodlin' I banged out in an idle moment a while ago, but any comments / thoughts would be appreciated(!)

Firepod Studio ($499-$699 depending on version/softs) is just about the one in all interface that I would want as an upgrade to my Toneport UX2. The UX2 is Very useful in its own right, but has limited interface and drum mics are hogs, even with splitters, so the 8 XLR inputs on the Firepod definitely help there (at this time we use an old Tascam 424MK3 for mixing down drums, then line-out that to the PC drive)

For sound card use, the Soundblaster EMU-404 is a great basic set-up with Audigy chip base, it allows hook ups of your equipment as well, allowing much more than just a blue 'line in'. ($99)

I found a great software package two years ago for $29 at close-out...Magix Music Studio 7 DeLuxe.

Has 64 Virtual tracks and everything you could want in an expensive Pro-Tools environment.

Why this was never popular I'll never quite understand.

M-Audio flat response studio speakers ($99 pair) give playback a level output so mixing can be achieved without all that unbalanced Windows playback.

Anyway, for less than $800 you can possibly have a decent mini-studio to fool around in.

For recording I'm a big fan of the Line 6 gear. The Pod Studio (used to be called TonePort) range offers great value for money by providing a PC recording interface designed for the guitar, plus a host of amps and effects so that you can get virtually any sound from warm jazz to metal. Line 6's new application, Pod Farm is excellent. An intuitive interface that's easy to use, hundreds of presets and Tone Direct output which offers zero latency - this means that you hear a note as soon as you play it. There are several Pod Studio options - the main differences are the number of inputs and support for mics. If you just want to connect your guitar then you get get the entry level model.

http://line6.com/podstudio/

For software you might want to look at the Steinberg Sequel product. At $99 it represents great value for money and is easy to use. You can also download a full working demo to try free for 30 days.

http://www.sequel-music.net/check-out-sequel.html

Here's another vote for Line 6. I have the original TonePort UX2 and I feed it into an old version of Acid (Pre-Sony ... that's how old it is!). I've gotten some great results! It handles my guitar, bass, keyboard (which is also my "drummer") and does a fantastic job with vocals too. It also makes a dandy practice set-up as I can play my fingers off late at night and not disturb my wife and neighbors and still rip my ears off with a set of headphones. Highly recommended!

MIDI

On my PC I have cheap sequencing software, Turtle Beach Voyetra. It does the job for what I use it for. I have a Kurzweil Synth that does really good voicing which enables me to use midi in to create backing tracks played on the Kurzweil and then use midi out to create an audio output from the Kurzweil to feed a couple of stereo tracks on my Korg D3200, 32 track standalone studio recorder. From there, I can add all the dubs to the creation that I want to.

So far, the recording gear is just a plaything. I need to try my hand at writing some songs.

I like the idea of having a standalone in case I want to take it somewhere and record a group live. I've only done that once, but the capability is there when I need it. Having both is nice, too, but I haven't invested in a USB multi-input device for the PC.

Just found out yesterday that a record producer is going to be bringing in a crew with a 64 track setup to our church to record us live for a CD. He signed a contract with our leader, who has written and recorded a couple of CDs, to allow a another contemporary Christian singer to record a couple of her songs. One of the spin-offs is that we get a CD out of the deal. I think this guy is out of Nashville. I'll get more details in a few days.

I'm actually a traditionalist...........I use standard (non modeling) guitars, and either a Marshall amp, or a Vox (which does a decent job of modeling the AC 15, AC30TB, Twin Reverb, & Bassman amps.

For recording, I use Roxios' "Record Now" Music Lab 9th version, which allows me to record, clean up, "tweak and voice" and mix up to 120 tracks per song.

The downside to Music Lab is that it has devoured too much of my PC's memory to be useful, every time I try to mix, I come up with......"insufficient memory to perform requested task", so i'm going to end up buying a PC to dedicate

to the recording program.

It's looking like this is the only way i'll ever get my CD mixed & burned.

I'm actually a traditionalist...........I use standard (non modeling) guitars' date=' and either a Marshall amp, or a Vox (which does a decent job of modeling the AC 15, AC30TB, Twin Reverb, & Bassman amps.

For recording, I use Roxios' "Record Now" Music Lab 9th version, which allows me to record, clean up, "tweak and voice" and mix up to 120 tracks per song.

The downside to Music Lab is that it has devoured too much of my PC's memory to be useful, every time I try to mix, I come up with......"insufficient memory to perform requested task", so i'm going to end up buying a PC to dedicate

to the recording program.

It's looking like this is the only way i'll ever get my CD mixed & burned.[/quote']

Ram is pretty cheap if you find it on sale. If the CPU is still up to snuff, you mght want to invest in more ram. XP uses about 512M and that doesn't leave much for programs on a 1G computer. Stepping up to 2G or 3G might save you the cost of a new computer.

Archived