Gibson Brands Forums

Now We're Talking TONE

Ron G

My Dot just didn't sound right. So I installed Gibson pickups, CTS pots, Bumblebee caps,

shielded wires, Schaller bridge & tailpiece, bone nut, Kluson tuners and D'Addario strings.

And it still sounded pretty much the same. I was totally bummed. Cost me hundreds of

dollars for nothing! Then I had one more idea - I plugged it into an amplifier........

WOW! What tone!=D>

amplifier!

man, I have one of those!

But..

I tried it once, but it just said 'standby'..well I stood there for over an hour and nothing happened, not even a commercial or breaking

news story, so I just gave up.

Anybody know how to get around that?

TWANG

amplifier!

man' date=' I have one of those!

But..

I tried it once, but it just said 'standby'..well I stood there for over an hour and nothing happened, not even a commercial or breaking

news story, so I just gave up.

Anybody know how to get around that?

TWANG[/quote']

Maybe you need some sort of physical connection between your instrument and that magical glowing box thingy they call amplifiers... Maybe some sort of wire or maybe cable... I don't know...

Maybe the standby stands for: "Stand by, you need to connect me to something man!!!! DO IT! NOW!! CAN'T YOU SEE I'M GETTING HOTTER AND HOTTER! I'M GLOWING!!!" :-({|=

Nick

Maybe you need some sort of physical connection between your instrument and that magical glowing box thingy they call amplifiers... Maybe some sort of wire or maybe cable... I don't know...

Maybe the standby stands for: "Stand by' date=' you need to connect me to something man!!!! DO IT! NOW!! CAN'T YOU SEE I'M GETTING HOTTER AND HOTTER! I'M GLOWING!!!" :-({|=

Nick[/quote']but you're still standing, now with an instrument connected... maybe get someone else who isn't paying attention to the amplifier to flip the switch and make you stop standing?

Damn this electrickery and it's wily ways.....

i used my tv as an amplifier once... it worked, but i wouldn't suggest it. if you become the path of least resistance to ground (i.e., touch a radiator... which was likely because i had to stand near a radiator...) you get shocked...

not badly, but it's enough to startle you... messes up your solos...

Back in the early seventies I had a mate who was into bio-feedback for meditation.

Scalp electrodes picking up brain-waves and stuff like that. (proper medico dude.....)

I had a VOX busker or some such named battery amp (NOT mains powered.....)

So I borrowed his electrodes and wired a couple up to the speaker terminals.

You can see colors if you do it right, but you need all the +nine/-nine volts peak to peak.

And I recall it was most vivid across the head, temple to temple. Or was that the lysergic.

DO try this at home kids, but discuss it with your neuro-surgeon buddies first.

The trick is (a) to believe you CAN fly but (:D NOT to try to fly.

Archived