Gibson Brands Forums

My new Dot

jamie-t

So I've decided to go ahead and get a Dot and customize it. In the photo it's stock but eventually it's going to have p94's and a frequensator tailpiece. I'm also posting a picture of my Epi LP Prophecy, I didn't like the dirty fingers pups it came with so I switched them for a classic 57 in the neck and a 498T in the bridge(has made it sound 10 times better). I run these through a Vox AC30 with various effects now and then.

edit - a lot of people think the prophecy series is strictly metal, but if you switch the pickups they are just really well built epiphone les pauls.

dot.jpg

and

lp.jpg

After you posted that I rushed to check it out and make sure it's straight, which it is haha. I love it as it is so far, haven't even gotten to play it out of the AC30 yet, but I'll get to at band practice tomorrow. Comparing it to the quality of my les paul you can definitely see why it was cheaper. It's just little things like finish quality really (fret board has a knick or two, volume/tone knobs aren't perfectly symmetrical). Playability is all there though, as soon as I do the pup swap it'll be hot.

Wow! So you didn't care for the Dirty Fingers, huh? Personally, I love them, but I have to admit that the covered pickups sure do look sharp on that guitar! I'm curious, how did changing the pup's effect the coil tap feature? Nice work ... and I agree that the Prophecy LP is an extremely well put together guitar.

MIDI

I think it's because my music style changed drastically, now I played a lot of stuff that just uses very light overdrive and the dirty fingers are too hot for me. As for the coil tap, my bridge pickup (498T) had the correct wires for the coil tapping to work with it, my neck pickup (57 classic) didn't, so when i pull out the knob on the bridge pickup I get a decent single coil sound but when I switch to neck pickup or both there is no sound at all. I suppose in a way it could be used as a killswitch or do some interesting things with feedback.

Archived