Gibson Brands Forums

small questions, if you don't mind answering-

I know this is an epiphone forum and all, but this will be the first non-epi post I've made, but I do apologize.

I just acquired a Peavey Classic 50 with 4x10s

One of the speakers was blown.

My first question, and probably a really stupid one, is can I just replace the one speaker (even if it were a non-stock one), or is this like everything else where I'd have to replace all four at the same time?

Second, if i were to replace just the one or all four, what would you recommend? I've heard a lot of good things about the Ragin' Cajuns but boy are they expensive to get 4. I play everything from clean and overdriven blues to rock stuff like ac/dc, CCR, etc.

Third, I might sell this thing down the road, so I guess I'm looking for some not-to-expensive but still great speakers, unless if I were to splurge and get expensive one's they'd help the sale value in the future.

And fourth, the carrying handle on the top is pretty messed up. Is there a place where I could buy a replacement?

Thanks a lot! BC

Probably an excellent opportunity to have the amp fully serviced and upgrade the speaks. If the previous owner was dragging it around with a blown speaker, it's highly doubtful he's ever had it serviced.

I bet you'd be shocked at the difference better speakers would make. Seeing as how it's arguably the single most important piece of the signal chain, I find it a poor place to choose to save money. Roughly $350 doesn't seem like much at all for what could well be the most significant improvement that you've made to your tone. If you didn't like them, I'm sure you could get close to what you paid for them.

I think alnicos would probably work really well with that amp. Tone Tubbys would be uber cool, but at $300 each, might be a bit of a stretch for a $500 or so amp. The ceramic TT is a bit more realistic at $100 each, but then you're into the pricing of the Weber alnicos, and I think alnico would be a very good choice for this amp. Either the Fendery 10As, the Blue pups or the Silver bells would likely be excellent choices.

K thanks!

I thought it was worth about $500 too, but you seriously can't find one for less then $700, the average one going for $850. Just google it and go to "shopping".

My friend wanted a drum set bad, so I went out and bought this decent drum set for super cheap ($200!), paid about $80 to get some of the heads replaced, and that's what I traded him with for his amp.

It's sounds pretty good with the screwed up speaker taken out. Don't understand why someone would buy one for $1000 though...

I thought it was worth about $500 too, but you seriously can't find one for less then $700

Isn't that "around $500?" I bet if you were patient, you could find one for $500. It's a Peavey...they're not exactly known for resale value, and I believe they go new for around a grand, right?

It's sounds pretty good with the screwed up speaker taken out.

Running it without that speaker is showing the amp a load mismatch, which is either going to be hard on the tubes, the output transformer, or both. You'd be wise to get a properly matched speaker in that hole.

Don't understand why someone would buy one for $1000 though

Some people do things that don't make much sense, because they don't know any better.

Here's one for $350

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/msg/1011118267.html

Another one for $325

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/msg/1009432914.html

$400

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/msg/985446936.html

2x12 for $450

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/msg/1006696215.html

Those are just in the twin cities area. Just gotta shop around a bit...

$300 is really cheap for a huge tube amp though, imo.

Yes, but it's a Peavey. They've never had resale value. You did good on yours. A buddy of mine recently got a super clean Classic 30 for cheap, and it sounds great. These aren't bad amps at all....they just have poor resale value, because of the nameplate.

So what was everyone's verdict on the Jensen C10R's?

I have no experience with them myself, but I'm sure it would be a fine choice. You might also be able to look at the Weber signature series...check and match the ohms.

I'm going to have to manually check the ohms on these old school speakers because they don't have anything written on them at all.

If you measure the two terminals of a disconnected speaker, I think you're going to want to see slightly less than what it would be rated for. If it's 2 ohm, you'd see something less than 2, 4 ohm, somewhere a bit over 3, etc. Whatever you measure closest to, round that up, and that's the speaker load, as I've understood that.

I was asking because they have sets of four Jensen C10r's for $170'ish on ebay

What a deal! Only $6 more than they'd cost you elsewhere! (seriously, these go for $41 each).

I know this is an epiphone forum and all' date=' but this will be the first non-epi post I've made, but I do apologize.

I just acquired a Peavey Classic 50 with 4x10s

One of the speakers was blown.

My first question, and probably a really stupid one, is can I just replace the one speaker (even if it were a non-stock one), or is this like everything else where I'd have to replace all four at the same time?

Second, if i were to replace just the one or all four, what would you recommend? I've heard a lot of good things about the Ragin' Cajuns but boy are they expensive to get 4. I play everything from clean and overdriven blues to rock stuff like ac/dc, CCR, etc.

Third, I might sell this thing down the road, so I guess I'm looking for some not-to-expensive but still great speakers, unless if I were to splurge and get expensive one's they'd help the sale value in the future.

And fourth, the carrying handle on the top is pretty messed up. Is there a place where I could buy a replacement?

Thanks a lot! BC[/quote']check out the eminence legend speakers. they're cheaper than patriot, still high quality american made stuff...

i'm unfamiliar with re-coning speakers...

You just insist on making me seem foolish don't you m-theory...

Not at all! Just trying to help keep you and others from spending more than you have to!

what do you think about just getting this speaker re-coned?

I don't know of a Peavey speaker that's worth the money to recone, to be honest. Sorry, I'm not trying to trash Peavey here...just being honest.

Archived