Gibson Brands Forums

Removing Super Glue from pickguard

WireWhipper

Greetings, Epiphonians,

I finally had enough of the E badge peeling off the pickguard on my Dot so I took it off. The problem is, now I have super glue residue on the guard from when I tried to glue it back on some time ago. Does anybody have any good tips for removing the super glue residue from the guard without ruining it?

By "white spirit", are you referring To Moonshine? (heh, heh). Too much white spirit,

you won't care about pickguard anymore!

I've heard that a product called "OOPS" Goo Remover will do it,also:

There is one other fact that might be of some use. All cyanoacrylates

(a.k.a. superglue) melt at only 140 degrees F. I recall one time at work we ran

an environmental test on a prototype made of ABS plastic that was held together

with superglue. The test hit 150 degrees F and the prototype fell apart right

in front of a prospective customer! (Oops!) The parts were all in perfect

condition; they just weren't attached to each other anymore. The big question

is what kind of plastic do they use for pickguards and what's its melting point?

*If* its sufficiently high, a dip in Very Hot or boiling water (212 F) might solve your

problem real quick. Suggest you test this first on an expendable piece of

plastic. Also suggest you remove the pot of boiling water from the stove before

testing it on any plastic bits. Plastic and burners don't mix pleasantly.

Of course, might melt your pickguard... Ouch! Then Jeffery Smith will have the

correct answer...

White spirit is the english term for an ethanol based paint remover and the dilution in this consistancy means it wont do any damage
hmm... ethanol = moonshine...

so i wonder if...

(hey, try drinking some of that new 85% ethanol fuel!.... or just wait for the 100% stuff to come, because under obama it inevitably will... and sorry, i'm still recovering from the troll thread, so don't respond to anything in these parenthesis)

I would not use anything but water. Does super glue even stick to plastic? You may be able to pick it off with a fingernail. Be patient. Putting a solvent on plastic is risky. And I sure would remove it to avoid dripping on the finish.

edit- just remembered, super glue (c/a) is not waterproof. Soak it in water, it will release.

finger nail polish remover...just be careful and maybe try it out on the back side 1st...but should take it right off no problem. then just wash it good with a little soapy water.

Capt

yeah i hear nail polish remover. i think this is a solvent too, so be carefull it doesnt melt youor pickguard. if it was me, well id just buy another one...

Thanks for the recommendations. I think I will start by soaking it in water, and if that doesn't work, I step up to the WD-40, acetone, white mineral spirits, superglue remover, etc. I've had limited success with scraping some of it with a heavy guitar pick, but it will take some time. If I'm able to successfully remove it all I will post pics.

Thanks!

Archived