Gibson Brands Forums

help! strange guitar!...

FlyingVector

Hi.

I have an epiphone guitar, and i would like to know something about it. This guitar has been in my hands for 5 years... now i'm planning to sell it or fix it, but i need to know first what kind of guitar is, if is worth or is just a bad guitar.

The strange about this guitar, is that it has a steinberger bridge... I leave yo some pictures... i hope that you can help me to find some information about the guitar.

model? the value? price? is it good? year?

(you can click in the pictures)

dsc00084pg6.th.jpg

dsc00087ky8.th.jpg

dsc00086at9.th.jpg

dsc00094gw1.th.jpg

dsc00095kp1.th.jpg

dsc00097vi8.th.jpg

thanks!

looks like a retro fit bridge to me.

awfully poor route... no paint inside..

korean bolt neck..strange combination.. special bridge and bolt neck..

looks like two vol tone three way and phase switch..

showing it's age.

no binding, but nice headstockand neck inlays?

but no binding on the neck either.

you're right. it's strange!

TWANG

well friend ive seen some ugly *** guitars in my day.. but i think that one takes the cake.. lol that locking bridge is horrable the neck looks to be a custom neck with no binding ( block inlays at the 1st fret ) the split diamond is like nothing ive ever seen before i would have to say it is an older epi due to the more open book shape headstock.. hell ill give ya $50.00 for it plus shipping just to see the thing lol

Your guitar was made at the

Saein Plant, Korea

August 1995

Production Number: 0231

The locknut looks to be original. It is definately of the Epi variety...that is for sure. I've read that Epi & Gibson put Steinberger trems on some of their guitars in the late 80's - The U2 model was one of them.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's a LP-200 or 300. Mid 90's, bolt on neck, block inlays, oddball tremolo system...sounds about right.

Your guitar was made at the

Saein Plant' date=' Korea

August 1995

Production Number: 0231

The locknut looks to be original. It is definately of the Epi variety...that is for sure. I've read that Epi & Gibson put Steinberger trems on some of their guitars in the late 80's - The U2 model was one of them.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's a LP-200 or 300. Mid 90's, bolt on neck, block inlays, oddball tremolo system...sounds about right.

[/quote']

RobinTheHood, You're the only person who answered this person's question knowledgeably. I knew that the "I" in

the serial number meant it was manifactured at the Saein in Korea, but wasn't sure what year the 5 stood for (95,

85, whatever). I knew the 08 ws for the month of August. My Sheraton II was made at the Saein Korea plant in

August 2005 (0508...) and it is one great guitar.

To the guy who owns the guitar...good luck with whatever you do with it, i.e. sell or fix it.

RobinTheHood' date=' You're the only person who answered this person's question knowledgeably. I knew that the "I" in

the serial number meant it was manifactured at the Saein in Korea, but wasn't sure what year the 5 stood for (95,

85, whatever). I knew the 08 ws for the month of August. My Sheraton II was made at the Saein Korea plant in

August 2005 (0508...) and it is one great guitar.

To the guy who owns the guitar...good luck with whatever you do with it, i.e. sell or fix it.[/quote']

Thanks. I have a strange affection for older elcheapo model Epis that no one else gives a hoot about. As far as the serial No., I got my info from GuitarDaterProject.org. No mystery there. Funny how the 90's Saein serials are somewhat cryptic, but the Samicks from the same era are pretty straight forward.

With a little work and some replacement trem & locknut screws, it could be a pretty decent guitar, for what it is.

Archived