Gibson Brands Forums

A Young Man's First Epiphone

midiman56

Hey!

This pic I just found is circa 1971 or so ... making me about 15. It is of me and one of my very first electric guitars ... an Epiphone of some sort. I have no idea of what it was, but I do remember not liking it all that much. LOL

In those days, if your weren't playing a Fender Strat, you just weren't playing. Even Gibby's would have been a distant second choice among my particular peer group.

Anyway, any idea what this thing was?

MIDI

scan0001.jpg

I am calling it a 1971 Epiphone ET-270. That's just my best guess from the year you provided. Here's the link to a thread from Harmony Central where a guy was selling one.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1355862

This guy sold that one for less than 200 (shipped). Im making this ID on the color and on those black pups with the white around them. Hope that helps!

Wow! Was that fast ... thanks, guys! You know, I was never one to cry too much about the one's that got away. I just think it's cool that some 35 years or so later I can be here (with a much more attractive hair-do) talking with a bunch of guys that know what its all about. Very cool, indeed! Was Epiphone still Epiphone then, or had they already become a Gibson company?

MIDI

Gibson bought Epiphone in 1957. If memory serves me right, that one that you had (along with the other 1971's) were the first ones that were manufactured overseas (Japan). Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. The only reason I know this is because I almost bought a Et-275 from ebay a few days ago and got to researching those 71-75 models that are no longer around.

Oh and btw from that home-made height chart in the background' date=' you were a 7 ft tall 15 year old. LOL just thought it was funny.[/quote']

Well ... I guess I must have been standing somewhere between the camera and the height chart. I'm only a paltry 6'5"!. Really, guys ... thanks for all this info!

MIDI

Archived