Gibson Brands Forums

ES-339, Any opinions?

I noticed that these are still on sale at GC/MF for around $1800. A heck of a bargain by today's prices.

532128.jpg

The reviews at Harmony-Central etc are quite mixed. But I've heard it's a good blues 'moaner' so I could be quite tempted, especially in the light caramel burst finish.

Does anyone have any experience of these guitars? Are they a cheaper way into 335 territory, or something best avoided?

I finally have a 339 Gibson. I no longer play my Les Paul or my SG (even though they are both Gibson as well). Even my Masterbuilt Epiphone acoustic is suffering neglect. The 339 out tones them all and she makes sounds that are simply indescribably delicious.

I did have an Epiphone dot that I maxed out with mods, but it was just too big of a guitar for my tastes - so I gave it to my son.

I am currently waiting for the mod gear to arrive so I can get the 339 up to snuff (Earvanna nut, Bigsby tailpiece and Schaller roller bridge). I can leave the 57 Humbuckers right where they are - on the dream machine.

8)

I noticed that these are still on sale at GC/MF for around $1800. A heck of a bargain by today's prices.

532128.jpg

The reviews at Harmony-Central etc are quite mixed. But I've heard it's a good blues 'moaner' so I could be quite tempted' date=' especially in the light caramel burst finish.

Does anyone have any experience of these guitars? Are they a cheaper way into 335 territory, or something best avoided?[/quote']

They are a rediculous bargain, especially considering an ES 335 can be a $1K + and more. I've got one, and build quality is quite good. Tonally, mine seems to have a little more twang than my ES 335, but can cover much the same ground. Go search this topic on the Gibson Hollow and Semihollow forum, and you'll find the owners quite enamored with them.

Red 333

Archived