Gibson Brands Forums

Fretboard radius for Epiphone guitars?

Most Gibbys & EPIs jazz boxes are 12.

As a matter of fact, that new LowRider RockSteady bridge

by TruArc should be here within days.

Mine is a custom in Copper to fit the orig. bridge posts

on the Emperor II Joe Pass.

They were designed initially for Gretschs but I wanted to

replace the ebonywood with something more substantial.

Will post pix soon.=D>

Nope' date=' just 16" all along.[/quote']

Interesting...I find that very flat for a jazztype box. Has it been refretted at some time?

Since I don't own a Sheraton myself I would really like to hear other Sherri-owners chip in.

How do you like it?

My previous main guitars were two 7.25" strats, and I was looking for a strat when I bought this. (On long holiday, needed a gtr.) The overall feel of the neck is so good that the radius doesn't bother me. Funny though, reading flat radius specs on desirable axes like the 3x P90 Fret King Esprit still puts me off. And now I'm just a little jealous of other Sheraton owners with bigger curves, so to speak. But mine is definitely a keeper, and I play it a lot.

Ricochet, no sign of any fretwork or boardwork. All the binding and inlays are good.

I too would be interested in hearing from other 'I' serial Sheri owners about their radius. One or two have posted on the forum, are you out there?

PS you can download a PDF of radius guages to print and cut out at Pickguardian.com

PS you can download a PDF of radius guages to print and cut out at Pickguardian.com

I tried that out, and I would have to say, be careful with the accuracy of any kind of downloadable

guages. I found out that when I printed it off, the scaling was off by 1/16" of an inch based on

the 1" thick line that is supposed to be a reference.

The other thing you need to do is to measure the very center of each curve and mark it..it should

be around 1 13/16" from edge to center according to my measurements.

Then you need to accurately glue it onto a cardboard backing and very carefully cut it out.

The other thing you need to do is to have a flashlight shine from behind to see if there is any

light passing underneath the cardboard "guage" and if it "rocks" from the center towards the

edge of the fb.

My Emperor II (Joe Pass) is somewhere between 14" and 15" radius. The Les Paul is around 12"

but that also depends on the machining of the fb at the various factories.

Stew-Mac do sell fb radius guage sets, but most people (unless you are a luthier) are not going to invest

$25 for a set of precision cut stainless steel radius guages.

here's some more information on the subject..

http://www.musicplayer.com/article/fretboard-radius/Sep-06/23104

I found out that when I printed it off' date=' the scaling was off by 1/16" of an inch based on

the 1" thick line that is supposed to be a reference.

[/quote']

You have to make sure you print onto the right size paper, re. the instructions on the site.

And I avoided the cutting and sticking by printing onto card. They work fine, and they seemed very accurate when I checked against radii I knew. Sorry I don't understand the need for measuring the centre of the curve, a curve is a curve surely, using any part of the curve of the gauge will read the same.

I've replied to these points as I wouldn't want anyone to be put off having a go at using Pickguardian's free download-and-print gauges, as I'm interested in hearing hat radii other folk have on their Epis, particularly their Sheratons.

• 11 years later...