Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Japan vs Epiphone Elitist

Ricochet

I don't own one (UNFORTUNATELY!) but I think since they're being produced in Japan (I think in the same factory as the Eltist/Gretsch used to be produced) also that the quality is very similar to the elitist ones... I mean... they have mojo, that's for sure (an epiphone that looks exactly like the two grand pricier gibson is such a sweet sin in my eyes). If I'm ever in Japan I will grab one, and if it isn't an Epiphone, then a Tokai, Greco or however all these fakes are named. That headstock just makes me smile! I love it!

No ugly shaped regular epi/elitist headstock will ever be the same as the 'open-book'-gibson headstock...

Nick

Can't speak for others, but my MIJ '61 SG is FABULOUS!! Love it, love it, love it!! I've no complaints, at all.

It even stays in tune, better than my '68 Gibson SG ever did. (Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to have that old

'68 back!) But, the MIJ is just FINE! I may switch to '57 or "Burstbucker" pickups, at some point(?)...then again,

maybe not. The stock ones, seem pretty decent, really! It really has to be one of my better purchases, lately

anyway, along with the (Chinese) Riviera P-93LE.

CB

No ugly shaped regular epi/elitist headstock will ever be the same as the 'open-book'-gibson headstock...

The Elitist headstock doesn't bother me that much. I like that there is at least some relationship with Gibson' date=' compared with Edwards, Burnys, Tokai etc. It's like the only official Gibson clone, not counting the Baldwins...default_eusa_wall.gif

Last year there were a few of you who got some Japanese Epiphones(with the Gibson headstock) from eBay. I was wondering how they held up compared to an Elitist? CB' date=' Jeffery?[/quote']

If there were a reissue of these guitars, I'd divorce my wife and liquidate my assets. To me, it is a Gibson guitar made by Asian hands. And for $700?! The finish is definitely thinner than the Elitists, but that is good by me. I don't care if some grain is showing. A thin layer of lacquer or varnish always looks better to me than a thick layer of poly.

I don't even think about how much I paid for this guitar. I handle it like it's a Gibson made in Kalamazoo.

If there were a reissue of these guitars' date=' I'd divorce my wife and liquidate my assets.[/quote']

That's quite a recommendation...then again, I'm not acquainted with your wife or assets.

I like the point about the thin finish. Thanks Jeffery!

I am fortunate enough to own an Epiphone Japan Les Paul with the Gibson headstock and all I can say is that you will not find a better guitar for the $$$ out there and that's not me being a honk for Epiphone. The materials used,quality and craftsmanship are on par with there Gibson counterpart, in my opinion.

Matt

all I can say is that you will not find a better guitar for the $$$ out there and that's not me being a honk for Epiphone. The materials used' date='quality and craftsmanship are on par with there Gibson counterpart, in my opinion.

Matt[/quote']

Thanks. Exactly what I wanted to hear. Funny how one needs reassurance of what one allready knows.

Awesome guitars! Not quite the gibson but very close. I bought one off eBay last year after some sound advice from CB and Jeff. The only thing I could say against it is the frets are a little sharp on the sides of the finger board. But this can easily be remedied.

Archived