Gibson Brands Forums

Ran my Epi VJ through my laney amp and...................

Hey there is this normal?

I ran my Epi VJ combo to the 12" speaker in my laney amp (instead of the combo speaker) and everytime i struck a chord the lights on the laney footswitch lit up? I take it some of the juice is going back throught the laney amp causing this. Would this damage my amp doing this? The amp is one of these hybrid amps with a preamp tube.

I only ask as i had a prob when i turned it on a minute ago and the amp would change channels at all and none were selected? I unplugged the footswitch then changed channels on the amp face then plugged back in and all works again. Is this just coinsidence or may i mess it up if i dont disconnect the amp from the speaker before connecting the Valve junior?

Cheers

Probably not if the Laney was off, but your speaker resistance would not be correct so could strain the VJ output transformer. But all it would take would be to turn them both on in a moment of forgetfulness, and then POW, seriously damaged Laney, VJ and speaker all in the flick of a switch.

We'll let it pass this time, but don't do it again mister!

Was only trying the combo with a 12" speaker and could of killed it all!! Will disconnect the speaker from the laney next time then prob stick to using it as the combo.

What worried me was that the laney footswitch lights lit up when strumming a chord whic means some juice must be flowing back through the amp!!

Probably not if the Laney was off' date=' but your speaker resistance would not be correct so could strain the VJ output transformer. But all it would take would be to turn them both on in a moment of forgetfulness, and then POW, seriously damaged Laney, VJ and speaker all in the flick of a switch.

We'll let it pass this time, but don't do it again mister![/quote']

WRONG!!!!! It's a Freakin' Bozo NO-NO don't ever do that! Your lucky you didn't smoke the output transformer! If you ever want to use the speaker in another combo amp ALWAYS connect right to the speaker and disconnect from any other wires or your impedance load will be F#cked!

Archived