Has to be American / Japan made.

Neck has to play/feel good

Pickups have to sound good

Stay in tune

Electronics have to function properly

Don't like nicks or scratches

I can live with vintage hardware having visual flaws

Has to be American / Japan made.

Your choices on that last one are getting slimmer. I hope they don't disappear altogether. The USA seems to no longer make consumer electronics (wasn't the last American television made about 15 years ago?). And the American car seems to be nearing extinction. We are becoming a nation of consumers rather than producers. That would be fine if we had enough natural resources to carry us through. But even the fruits in my local grocery seem to come from South America.

That is a beautiful specimen... [-X If it's even 75% original' date= it's got to be worth close to 5 figures...

I have a buddy who has his dad's 100% original '56 Tele. It's in pretty rough "played" condition, but he's been offered over $20,000 for it. ("Buddy" does not imply "kid", BTW... this guy is in his early 40s... he is well aware of what he has, and respects it as an heirloom. He has a few other inexpensive guitars he plays on, so as not to do any further damage to the tele... he takes it out and plays it for a little while once every few months or so, if that.)[/quote]

Thanks GZ...the body was refinished, back in the day, when it was just a "used" guitar...way before all this "Vintage"

non-sense started. I don't Mind the fact that it's appreciated in value, but I much prefer what it looks like Now, as

opposed to what it looked like, prior to it's restoration. The prior to restoration condition, is initself, another "story!"

And, because of that "back story," it's worth (to me), is way beyond any "monetary" value, it may have.

It was done by an authorized Fender repair service tech-luthier, and he did a fantastic job! I'm pretty sure the only solder joints that were broken, were the ones for the input jack, and the gound to the tremelo spring mount. We did replace the stock/original 3-way pickup switch, with a 5-way. But the original switch was "shot" anyway. Otherwise, everything else is completely original.

CB

I like to take care of my guitars. I will wipe them down after each use with a soft cloth, just to take my body oils off of them. But I play my instruments so with normal playing you will get normal wear and tear. I have never liked the fake worn in relic look of the new guitars coming off the line and made to look played. My les paul has that rock hard super shiny poly finish so it might take the next 30 years to get a scratch on it. lol. I just feel that taking care of your guitar is a part of the music. even though I take care of my guitars I do play the crap out of them.

Like I've said a dozen times already: I can live with a scratch, a dent, or even a missing chunk out of a guitar as long as I can tell the story of how it got there! These production reliced guitars, to me, are the equivalent of an "antiques" dealer ptting the wormholes in a new credenza with a drill and selling it for twice the price ... utter nonsence.

Besides,have you seen these "Road Worn" Fenders? They are terrible! It looks like someone took a hi-rez photo of a beat-up guitar and pasted it on to a new one. They all look exactly the same ... and piss poor at that!

Jim

Archived