Gibson Brands Forums

Anybody here ever seen a doubleneck Les Paul?

generation zero

I may have asked this before, but years and years ago, I remember seeing a single, small, grainy, black and white photo of what appeared to be a 70's era guitarist leaning up against a bus with a white double neck Les Paul strapped on, with what looked to be Gibson shaped headstocks. It was in an ad for some music shop in the back of a guitar magazine, in the classified section. This is mid to late 90s, but I am sure the photo was from far earlier. I have yet to find ANY information on who the artist was, or anything about the guitar itself. In my youthful ignorance at the time, I never thought to try contacting the store that placed the ad for info, and now I no longer have the magazines. This guitar has become my "holy grail", in the respect that I can find NOTHING about any sort of double neck Les Paul anywhere on the web, but I KNOW that at least one existed at one point, somewhere in the world. I just want info, and clearer pics if they exist. Anybody have any clue about this, or any doubleneck Les Pauls?

Here's one ... it's a lefty though:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390032106568

Honestly' date=' I dug around for quite a while as this sounded pretty cool ... and this was all I came up with.

Jim[/quote']

That's the closest so far to the general idea, but it looked pretty much like you would expect a Gibson doubleneck 12/6 white Les Paul Standard or Custom would look. Carved top, single cutaway, I'm pretty sure it had black binding too, but it was years ago, and a poor photograph. I know it wasn't a 1275, as it did not have the double cutaways or beveled edges of the SG style. Those older Gibsons are cool looking, but nothing like what I saw in that one picture. I really wish I could track that image down... I may see if any of my guitar buddies have back issues from that time period laying around...

Everyone is coming up with double neck Gibsons with a 12/6 string combo.

But I remember a band from the 60`s called The Cyrkle. Who had a hit with Red Rubber Ball.

I saw them on tv and the guy was playing a twin neck Gibson with a 6 string and a bass.

I also seem to remember Fender making this combo too.

here is the ebsf-1250 that someone mentioned, 4 string bass and 6 string guitar, they also list a ebs 1250 but had no pictures on the site I found, I think its just a variation of this though.. another note, on the Gruhn website it is implied that Gibson did a few special one of's, here is the quote I found: "The factory stock doublenecks were rare enough, but among them Gibson produced a few singular custom-mades."

1964gibsonebs.jpg

Just found this Gretsch that has a les paul kinda look, plus bunch more doubleneck picks at ed romans website

Gretsch%20Doubleneck.jpg

Archived