Gibson Brands Forums

*SOLD* '05 Gibson AJ

jstancil

Hope this isnt agains the rules but I couldnt find anything about it. I have a used '05 Gibson Advanced Jumbo in fantastic shape. Has a B-Band a2.2 pickup system installed and comes with the Gibson hard shell case. Looking for $1500 and we split shipping. I have pictures and more description over at the AGF. I have sold and purchased a lot of gear on the forum and have references and I'm more then happy to chat with potential buyers of the phone.

justin_stancil at hotmail dot com

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure what the current rules are about selling on this forum. I while back, CS deleted some posts of someone who was trying to sell because it was against their rules. However, they've seemed to be tolerating it recently. Maybe they've reconsidered their position.

Is the pick-up factory installed or after market? I just bought an AJ, so I'm not interested. But I'm sure someone will be. Good luck with your sale.

"count the frets. If it's a short scale it would have 12.

With respect, scale is the length from bridge to nut. An AJ is a "long" (25.5) scale model except for custom orders, J45 is "short (24.75)." Both have 14 frets. A 12-fret CFM HS28vs is long scale; a Fraulini 12-fret parlor is short. J

A 12-fret CFM HS28vs is long scale; a Fraulini 12-fret parlor is short. J

We're talking about an AJ!! Short scale is 12 frets from the nut to the body, that's what I have. (custom shop)

A 12-fret CFM HS28vs is long scale; a Fraulini 12-fret parlor is short. J

We're talking about an AJ!! Short scale is 12 frets from the nut to the body' date=' that's what I have. (custom shop)[/quote']

A 14 fret AJ can be short or long scale. Are you saying you have a 12 fret AJ?

Si' date=' I've never seen a14 fret short scale AJ, but there's a lot that I haven't seen!![/quote']

Kewl - same here, I've never seen a 12 fret AJ, most short scale AJs that I have seen have been 14 fret ones like those on guitarsale.com http:// http://www.guitarsale.com/Gibson-Advanced-Jumbo-Koa-Short-Scale-Custom-Acoustic-Guitars-i465824.music

Can you post a pic of your 12 fretter? I'd love to see that custom baby!

AJSC: Here's one. 14 frets. 24.75 scale 9

http://www.guitarsale.com/Gibson-Advanced-Jumbo-Koa-Short-Scale-Custom-Acoustic-Guitars-i465825.music

Here's a def of scale length for a good source. "A guitar's scale length is the distance between the nut and the bridge's saddle." Note "it is not without precedent for a manufacturer to issue two models of guitars whose main difference is scale length i.e. Martin's 000 and OM models" [both 14 fretters, at least the post-1932 trip 0s].

http://www.12fret.com/fret/fv4n7.htm

ps Id go so far as to venture that the defining Gibson acoustic sound for 6-string cognizenti is the short (24.75) scale 14-fret slope d (ex J45) and small jumbo (J185). The 25.5 scale was atypical (AJ, J200). 24.75 was better suited to jazz and orchestra players which was Gibson's bread and butter. They do more 24.5 -[oops, make that 25.5] now (gospel, blues king to name 2). To my knowledge, Gibson never made a production model with 12 frets/25.5 scale.

Awesome, I love the education I'm getting! Need to hang around here more although this is the only gibson I own and I hope to have it sold soon. Will have to save up for another one quickly, possibly a short scale O:)

Just so you guys know I am open to partial trades as well. I just need to get 1k in cash out of this to put back in savings, gotta keep the wife happy! Interested in anything acoustic, gear, or PA stuff.

JS-- Your price more than fair for an out-of-production RW dread.

Especially where the condition is impeccable. I wish I could throw for a second '05 AJ because I would buy it and use one for alternate tunings while the other stayed in standard.

Dreams, we all have dreams.

58: have you had a chance to A-B them? No knock on the 45, but the AJ is going to have some edge in terms for volume, projection, treble cut and general clarity. Of course, it all depends on how you play and what you play. J

jk, have not A/B'd them in the same room/same time. But, I have owned a J-45 RW, loved it, sorry I sold it. As I slowly look for another, I am kicking around the AJ shorty because I have played a few AJ regular scales and like them as well, albeit different than the J-45RW.

58. Rumor has it AJs get a little more care and attention than std Gibsons. I personally think the AJ is more versitile but that's one man's opinion. Tone? 45rw is like a chocolate malt, AJ like a frappe. Highjacked again, JS.

JS--Bump. sorry to hijack the thread with arcane tech info. Good luck with your sale! Your price more than fair for an out-of-production RW dread.

No worries! I love the discussion, and besides it just gets more people looking at the guitar. Do you think I should try EvilBay? I hate selling guitars on there but it might be worth a shot.

Archived