Gibson Brands Forums

*SOLD* '05 Gibson AJ

jstancil

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed, I actually don't think I will ever let this one get to ebay, just not worth it. So lets just keep this thread going with more good discussion about the AJ and history of Gibson and eventually someone should buy it!

It is a sad thing if you have to go eBay. I would think someone around here would buy it up. It is mint and beautiful' date=' and there is no shortage of praise for AJs on this forum.

Do it Gilliangirl. [/quote']

LOL If it were up to me, I would, but it's not. I'd love a rosewood AJ, but I'm still paying off a new back door from a recent break-in here. I'm keeping an eye out for a friend who has discovered the joys of rosewood. O:)

Agreed' date=' I actually don't think I will ever let this one get to ebay, just not worth it. So lets just keep this thread going with more good discussion about the AJ and history of Gibson and eventually someone should buy it![/quote']

I know what you mean, I can't motivate to sell on ebay either. Some people were inquiring about AJ's on UMGF.com. You might try posting in their buy and sell. Good luck--beautiful guitar.

LOL If it were up to me' date=' I would, but it's not. I'd love a rosewood AJ, but I'm still paying off a new back door from a recent break-in here. I'm keeping an eye out for a friend who has discovered the joys of rosewood. :D [/quote']

Rosewood is a joyful wood... but I love the smell of the AJ's almost as much as playing it. Mine is some of the best smelling wood I have ever owned and it is 3 years old!

I'm still paying off a new back door from a recent break-in here.

Sorry to hear about that. A break in is a really tough experience. I had an aunt who actually had to sell a house after a break in because she didn't feel safe in it anymore. It was heartbreaking to watch.

I am fortunate to have no fear of break-in because I have three killer Yorkshire Terriers who are throat attack trained. Once, a couple of guys looked in the window like they were gonna try it, but when they saw the two girl's diamond collars, they decided to leave without their whoopin! The male slept through the experience because he knew the babes had it all under control.

Last bump' date=' last post. Good luck with the sale and goodbye.[/quote']

oops, looks like jekyll or hyde is back. always get them mixed up. anyway, BC, caught your demo of the h-bird on another thread. it was great to put a face with the a**hole. BTW, your magnanimity re: moose and his holy grail epi, smacks of groveling for a friendship. it's so out of character for you when you consider your mission statement here. i'll apologize to the denizens of this forum and admin. now. do with me as you will.

carry on.

seems like admin is doing a sweep.

back to topic... i had a chance to ABCD/AJ/HB/J45rw/SWD at GC in detroit today. i went with a friend so we took turns playing and listening to get a perspective.

here are my thoughts:

it was clear to see the contrast between the aj and the J45. THE AJ seemed like each string was the same gauge but with a different pitch. so, would we call that balance or tight? JK would know how to say it properly. honestly, i jokingly asked the overly-eager service rep, Dean, (hi, i'm dean! i'm there for you when you need a hand!K!?) if there were 15 guage strings on this beast. the AJ was also the loudest followed fairly closely by the SWD. the swd had more thud in the bass and a little more shimmer in the highs and i have to say i'm still proud to own one. best smell award goes to the aj. ever since i quit drinking my sense of smell is very acute. as for the j45's there were two rw's. i played them both and must say there was little difference between them. very, very mellow indeed. i could tell one needed new strings as it was just about dead but mellow, in spite of this. both nowhere near as loud as the aj or swd. since i am a heavy handed player, volume is a big issue for me. i think my ensuing deafness is also playing a role here, too. the bird was a little dissapointing as it was weak in the volume dept. still a nice guitar but i wouldn't recommend one to a strummer like myself: i think it would get buried in a mix. i resolve that i am not a big hog fan, either. on a side note, there are some nice epi's out there. wow. i was impressed. i mean, there is some real garbage out there but i played an aj200 (199us) and an ej200(349us) and what a great deal these are. certainly, they do not compare to a top-line montana but very good value there. they sound really nice and the aj was quite meaty.

i hope this helps someone. oh, and not all canadians are a holes. g'night.

Yes' date=' I second that! In fact, it's usually quite the opposite. I apologize to the chair when I run into it. Geez[/quote']

yes. overly polite. that's us. on another note on the way home from GC,a tune on the radio made me think about you, GG. have you ever heard the song by Cake - short skirt, long jacket? there's a line that goes

'she's changing her name from kitty to karen

she's trading her MG for

a white

chrysler

le

baron.'

makes me laugh everytime. sorry if that offends. its just the name, that's all. great song, though.

Cunk: thanks for the show and tell. Sounds spot on, except may be the 'bird being at risk for getting "buried in a mix." By itself, a hog may not jump out like a rose, but with other instruments, the hog tends to cut through. Check those middle periods Stones records, er, cds: Beggers, Bleed, Sticky-- and you'll hear what I mean. Those Birds and Doves stand out (although to be fair, Stills Young got an up front from their D28s on the Springfield stuff). Anyway, of the [rose] Gibsons, id agree that the AJ cuts through the best. AJs! See, JS--still on topic!

See' date=' JS--still on topic![/quote']

I love the conversations going on here! Seriously, this is the best classified thread I have on the web! It really doesnt bother me at all if it gets off topic. I finally have a few people checking in so maybe it will be sold soon and I can start saving up for my next Gibson.

yes. overly polite. that's us. on another note on the way home from GC' date='a tune on the radio made me think about you, GG. have you ever heard the song by Cake - short skirt, long jacket? there's a line that goes

'she's changing her name from kitty to karen

she's trading her MG for

a white

chrysler

le

baron.'

makes me laugh everytime. sorry if that offends. its just the name, that's all. great song, though.[/quote']

I have not heard that song, CH, but I will check it out! Altho', I can't ever see trading an MG for a Le Baron!

Cunk: thanks for the show and tell. Sounds spot on' date=' except may be the 'bird being at risk for getting "buried in a mix." By itself, a hog may not jump out like a rose, but with other instruments, the hog tends to cut through. Check those middle periods Stones records, er, cds: Beggers, Bleed, Sticky-- and you'll hear what I mean. Those Birds and Doves stand out (although to be fair, Stills Young got an up front from their D28s on the Springfield stuff). Anyway, of the [rose'] Gibsons, id agree that the AJ cuts through the best. AJs! See, JS--still on topic!

thanks for the comments, JK. i always appreciate a good learning experience. wow! if 'you can't always get what you want', angie and wild horses were 'birds, then i need to shut up and rather quickly too, i might add.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys hows it going? Just wanted to throw another bump in here as this guitar is still available! I have a few mp3's I made with my Zoom H4 or it unplugged and plugged in I can email you. I recorded two new songs with the AJ and put them up on my myspace page. The songs are "Don't Look Back In Anger" and "Cumbersome"

Also, since I sold a few other items I am pretty close to the final amount in cash I need to put back into savings to appease the wife! Therefore I am open to a trade + cash deal, I just need to get somewhere around 500 in cash. Trades I would be interested in would be other acoustics with at lease a 1 3/4" nut or wider or some PA equipment. I am pretty interested in the Genz Benz Shenandoah line of acoustic amps, specifically the ones you can add an extension cab and make into a small PA. Let me know what you all have!

justin_stancil at hotmail dot com

• 2 weeks later...

Ive seen a lot of talk about the AJ here recently, thought I would throw out a little reminder that I have a very fine AJ still available for sale or partial trade!! email with any questions, offers, comments, or just to request the mp3's to hear for yourself. justin_stancil at hotmail.com

Archived