Gibson Brands Forums

opinion on this firebird

polymolly

Well, I think my 2004 Firebird VII is felling lonely, and someone mentioned a companion for her:

This "apparently" 80's version of the firebird.

has epiphone written on the headstock, "E" truss rod cover, two mini's, no vibrola.

dot markers, no fingerboard bidding

mail-1.jpg

mail-2.jpg

mail-3.jpg

mail.jpg

what do you guys think of ir?

(the guys asking 400€ for it)

thanks a lot!

The things that are making me hesitate are:

- The dot markers: I think that firebirds look better with rectangular/trapezoid markers

- fingerboard without bidding

- the lack of vibrola: if i tried to replace that tailpiece with a vibrola i would end up with to gigantic holes.

But I like the fact that it only has 2 pickups. The VII gives you a wonderful range of sounds, but the middle pickup kinda gets a bit in a way...

and the minis... are they like the original? with two coils and one magnet per coil?

I am also waiting for the serial number.

Thanks for your replys, great forum as always!

and by the way: 400€ = 540$USD

I'm waiting for the serial number. I had never seen one like these, but it looks to me that it is a 97 model, not a early 80's as he claims it to be...

maybe thats why it is in such good condition...

EDIT: while researching for more info on these guitars, i've found one in spain, exact same model (but dated as 97...) but in a beautiful sunburst.

Now that would be a good match my 2004 firebird.

And the best: 200€ = 270$ USD!!!!!

I'd be wary of this one.

I'd dispute the 1980s tag. Looking at the photos, I'm guessing it's a mid-1990s, Korean built, bolt-on Epiphone Firebird V. In my experience (I've owned 2 of the damn things and have played more), it is, in all likelihood, a load of crap.

Epi haven't made a proper Firebird since the '80s, when they did make a through-neck, sunburst version with the mini-hums and banjo tuners. Probably the best of the recent models are the Epi Firebird VIIs with the set neck and vibrola. The Epi Firebird Studios suffer from full-sized hums rather than minis. These 1990s era, thick-polyester-caked, poorly made, bolt-on Firebird V copies are the bottom of the heap. I'm a sucker for Firebirds, but I've yet to meet a fellow Firebird-addict with a good word to say about these.

If you are craving another Firebird, by all means check this out, but try and examine it in person before parting with your hard-earned. If you are really into Firebirds, then save up a bit more and buy the real deal used, you are unlikely to be disappointed...

Damn I wish Epi would re-release these birds. I'd buy one in a minute.

The Firebird studio is not for me since it's not a neck-thru nor does it have minis. These' date=' on the other hand, are exactly what I'm looking for.[/quote']

I'll smother my Stratocaster in chipotle sauce and eat it for breakfast, if it turns out that the Firebird in that picture has a through-neck. With those Epi Firebird V copies, the front of the body has a sort of molding on it that simulates the ergonomics of a Gibson Firebird. Flip it over, and you'll see a bolt-on neck covered with a "Crafted in Korea for Epiphone, Nashville, TN, USA" metal plate, (probably screwed on at a sloppy angle, too...)

Thanks for the advice, my Lord Summerisle!

I more into pimp up my 2004 VII (the one you described as aceptable) than into a new one. It is just a case of "well, if turns out it is the real deal!". As you can see by my previous reply, I had already noticed that it seems to me that it is a 97 model. The problem is that there is little information about these epi babies on the web...

It actually isn't like me to criticize Epiphone so harshly - it's just that the '90s Epi Firebird Vs were woeful.

The recent Epiphone Firebird VIIs (like the one you have now) are nice guitars. If they had given them through necks then they would have been absolutely killer guitars, and I'd have bought one in a heartbeat!

Good luck with 'pimping' your 'bird and any other Firebird transactions you may enter into!

I wouldn't dispute that it is not a neck-through. I noticed when Epi released the T-Bird bass they just routed out the top to look like a neck-through but it was just one piece of (pretty crappy) wood. So I'm inclined to believe you're right.

I had one of these at one point:

GetAttachmentaspx-1.jpg

To be completely honest, it was one of the worst guitars I've owned. It was a bolt on neck and the neck had a lot of play in the pocket, the tuners were bananas, and the mini hums on the thing were the weakest, toneless, ugliest sounding damn things.

Now, that isn't to say that this one won't be better. I know there are people out there that are completely satisfied with theirs.

I had one of these at one point:

GetAttachmentaspx-1.jpg

To be completely honest' date=' it was one of the worst guitars I've owned. It was a bolt on neck and the neck had a lot of play in the pocket, the tuners were bananas, and the mini hums on the thing were the weakest, toneless, ugliest sounding damn things.

Now, that isn't to say that this one won't be better. I know there are people out there that are completely satisfied with theirs. [/quote']

That's exactly like the one I had. They look beautiful don't they (from a distance)? To be precise, I had one in black and one in alpine white, bought as a pair (the idea being to set one up for slide). When they arrived, I realized what a pair of turkeys I'd been saddled with. Vendors had different return policies 12 years ago (at least the one I used did), and I ended up saddled with the damn things.

Everything ButchCassidy mentions about his Epiphone Firebird V nightmare was also true of mine. There was play in the neck socket, which hadn't even been cut accuately - chips around the edges of the joint which had just been finished over. I remember the bridge pick-up in the black guitar with particular affection - just a few more degrees and it would have been angled like the bridge p'up in a Telecaster.

After a few years cluttering up my music room, I cut them loose. The black one was sold (cheaply) to a guy who was determined he "could do something with it" (I don't know what, exactly). The white one, funnily enough, was gifted to a friend of mine who was pursuing a Master's degree in Fine Arts, and ended up being used in an assemblage installation piece (which was about all it was good for).

I'll smother my Stratocaster in chipotle sauce and eat it for breakfast' date=' if it turns out that the Firebird in that picture has a through-neck. With those Epi Firebird V copies, the front of the body has a sort of molding on it that simulates the ergonomics of a Gibson Firebird. Flip it over, and you'll see a bolt-on neck covered with a "Crafted in Korea for Epiphone, Nashville, TN, USA" metal plate, (probably screwed on at a sloppy angle, too...)[/quote']

Hope you have an alternatice menu!

the guy replied, and like you said...

mail-4.jpg

I believe that this guy isn't trying to ripoff someone, more like the case of replicate the talk he's been ripped with...

guy replied again, said that the guy who he bougth the guitar from (sorry, my sintaxe radar his bliping, but i can't do better) "said he had the guitar since 91..."

:( ](*,)

Edit:

The guy insists that the guitar is from the 80's "bought buy the other guy in 91, and he aswell bougth it second hand..."

Can someone tell me the exact chronology of the epi's firebirds so I can "!$()"#$)"#($)("# in his face?

(preaty please??)

All you need is the serial number' date=' which you can run through the Guitar Dater Project:

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/

Is the seller being coy about giving you the serial number? I wonder why...![/quote']

yeah, I'm starting to feel that he either knows that something went wrong and he is trying to (as he say in Portugal) "pass the hot potato to someone else", or he is guilty from the start...

I'm really don't care, but I'm pissed because I'd realy like to know that, because he is trying to sell it in a portugues forum, and someon can be tricked...

If anyone omits (conveniently) any photo from the get-go,

or is not comfortable with giving even a partial serial number,

that should be all you need to walk away.

in this case, that's a shame.

The photos sure look good, until I saw the experiences you guys

had with that build/era.

BTW my orig.'65 non-reverse 12string has a set neck (probably because it's the

ES 12 string neck) and don't you know, I baby that neck all these years.

photo1.jpg

Hope you have an alternatice menu!

the guy replied' date=' and like you said...

[img']http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww279/polymolly/mail-4.jpg[/img]

I believe that this guy isn't trying to ripoff someone, more like the case of replicate the talk he's been ripped with...

That sucks, thats pretty important info not to let you know in the first place. It's kind of like on ebay when someone is auctioning a USED or 2nd guitar, no photos of the back of the headstock and no mention in the auction. Atleast you found out up front.

mgm

If anyone omits (conveniently)

BTW my orig.'65 non-reverse 12string has a set neck (probably because it's the

ES 12 string neck) and don't you know' date=' I baby that neck all these years.[/quote']

As far as I know all non-reverse Firebirds have a set neck. Wonderful instruments though. I could be tempted by the new re-issues (if I had $2000 just lying around):

546648.jpg

That sucks' date=' thats pretty important info not to let you know in the first place. It's kind of like on ebay when someone is auctioning a USED or 2nd guitar, no photos of the back of the headstock and no mention in the auction. Atleast you found out up front.

mgm[/quote']

thanks to YOU guys!

Archived