Gibson Brands Forums

String advice for a Les Paul Newbie - PICS POSTED!!!

onewilyfool

Great looking Guitar those p-90's must sound great. I love the sound of the p-90 in my Black Studio BFG and I play it with 10's as a rule. Right now I am playing it with Elixr Nanowebs and so far I like the sound and feel. I have not had them on it long enough to see what I think of the coated strings on the solid body but I really have nothing to complain about so far. I went to Nanowebs on my T-5 and 335 recently and liked them so will see I guess as a little more time goes past.

I know what you guys mean.....When I see other guys getting their new guitars, even ones' I didn't know existed.....the GAS starts.....lol....thanks for all the string advice....I better get going on line and order some of these brands. By the way, I am coming from the acoustic guitar side of things......so am a little new to the electrical side.....how long do electric strings last????? I can easily tell when an acoustic is ready....but it is a little harder for me to tell when the electrics are due....thanks

Funny thing, a set of strings sound really cool when new, especially on a nice acoustic.

By the time they finish stretching and stay stable, the slinky sound is gone.

If I was recording an acoustic, I'd be changing strings every other day to capture that sound.

I hear it on electrics too, but it's not near as obvious.

When the start to LOOK nasty and dark (seriously, look closely at the skinny ones) it's probably time.

A friend of mine says 40 hours of playing or one month.

Another friend wipes his guitars down meticulously and obsessively, changes them when he breaks one.

He has a couple years on some of his guitar strings.

I just do it when I think the sound merits it, or I'm gonna take it to a gig.

Changing strings on twenty guitars a month would be alot of work, no more than I play them.

Some of my guitars have two year old strings, but are rarely played. They sound fine.

Archived