Gibson Brands Forums

String advice for a Les Paul Newbie - PICS POSTED!!!

onewilyfool

Hi Guys and Gals.....I have just bought a used Les Paul Custom Classic, the one with the P-90's, which I love!!! It came with brand new flat wound 10's (D'Adario), which I have never played with before. They are VERY comfortable on the fingers, but I don't know how adversely they affect sound. When I do change the strings in the future, what do you recommend for replacements, same or higher guage? Flat wound or regular? Thanks a lot....This Les Paul is the best electric guitar I have ever played....I now know why they have a special area for you guys.....lol

10-46 is standard. I like my 10-52's with a little more bottom end. I also like pure nickel.

Has anyone tried Elixor Nanoweb electric strings on their *Gibson?

*Note how used Gibson in the post to keep the "powers that be" happy.

OK< OK.....lol....pics added.....thanks for all the advice....just loving the new LP

Guitars:

Gibson L-4 CES

Gibson L-20, rare 12, fret wide nut, limited run (36 units?) small bodied Gibson flat top

Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic....with P-90's (gotta love that sound!)

IMGP0035.jpg

IMGP0042.jpg

IMGP0043.jpg

ive got a friend who plays hard rock on a ES-175 with flatwound 12's (thats right, you read it right) and it sounds F***'in Baaaadasss. dont let people tell you have to use this or that! thats bullcrap. doing different combinations if anything makes the tone a little more unique and styled.

in terms of brands, I think D'addario is pretty top notch. Ernie ball seems to be a big one too, but everybody probably buys it because its the most guitarcenter stocks its shelfs with. (and probably all those damn names on the back of the package!!)

Deffinately agree on keeping the 10-46. I will be changing strings on my new Les Paul very soon should i keep the gibson vintage strings? Or go with the Elixir's? I used Elixir's on my SG and loves them, but there coated and dont want any gunk on my guitar hmmm....

I used Elixir's on my SG and loves them' date=' but there coated and dont want any gunk on my guitar hmmm....[/quote']

No gunk from the strings , it's Goretex It may flake , but if you leave them on long enough for them to do that , Youve left them on too long .

And mother of god put some clothes on ...

Archived